Question About FD-ISR Archives

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by EASTER.2010, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Experienced my very first what appeared to be problem today and hopefully someone can fill me in on some your opinions to this.

I been jockeying around some internal fixed drives like i've always done and always only in pairs. I remove my Primary and switch Jumpers to make it a Secondary Slave drive or else i take whats been a Slave drive and set it as Primary even if that requires doing a reinstall from the XP Pro CD but alway have presence of mind to KEEP CURRENT FILE SYSTEM and thus preserve my programs. It's a practice that's routinely common for me.

To get right to the point now. Everyone with XP should full well know at some time or another in a partitioned drive setup, (Mine has 3), that Windows will sometimes announce at boot time that Partition such & such NEEDS TO BE CHECKED FOR CONSISTENCY.
    I used to get this a lot when i coupled 98SE with my Primary XP set up with no ill effects.

I sometimes bypass that check by tapping a key and proceed on to my chosen screen. Well, i decided in order to keep from being nagged i would let it check that Partition and sat back while it run thru it's procedure. Shockingly it started deleting a heck of a lot of items that it claimed were invalid file records i think it said. Bear in mind, this partition is also one of them that holds ALL my FD-ISR snapshot archives (6) .arx

After completion i opened FD Manager only to discover that instead of the interface usually showing my (6) archives, it only showed 2 :blink:

I then checked the size of the archives and a few of those indeed were of 3.6Gb or whatever their capacity but a couple of them also showed 0 Bytes. I determined at that moment that whatever Windows CHKDSK done, it corrupted 4 of my 6 archives because i was returned that message when i clicked on one of them.

I of course then HAD to delete those archives and create new ones all over again which i since have done.

My question is this now. FD-ISR archives certainly don't deteriorate over time do they? And is there some reason why Windows would proceed (i assume) to damage those archives like that while doing it's check of that Partition?

All is normal again but i now am very wary of ever allowing Windows to examine my partition again when there are FD-ISR archives residing there.

Thanks EASTER

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Easter

My answer is yes and no. Firstly I've I don't partition, but I do keep archives on a second internal and external USB drive. I've never had to run chkdsk on them. In the sense that the files become corrupt, I would say no they don't deteriorate, but in another sense they do.

Like many types of data base files, when you add to them they grow, but when you delete stuff from them, they don't get smaller. So as you use them every day, they do get holes etc. You will see a detoriation in the sense that if your archive takes say 2 minutes to update, when the archive is new the time it shows finalizing until exit may only be 10 seconds. Over time this will grow until you may see the 2 minute update require another minute to finalize. For this reason, every so often I will delete the archive, and recreate it.

Pete

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I see Pete. I recall from several of your FD-ISR posts that you often refer to this. Another thing also comes to mind for me on reading your reply. It was late and on one of the snapshots i used a Registry Cleaner that i think you warn against using and it may very well have been the culprit in causing Windows CHKDSK to regard those archives as corrupted file extensions. I simply cannot pin it down any farther beyond this untill i test it again, but i now highly suspect, and it wouldn't surprise me at all, if the registry cleaner removed enough references to them and thus opened the door for Windows to carry out it's mass deletion routine like it did. These things always happen when you're at your weakest don't you know, and i really should have been getting some sleep at the time.

4. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Easter,

I use registry cleaner(s) quite frequently. My only absolute is to "never" allow any keys or values w/ $ISR to be changed / deleted. Depending on the cleaner, either I put them on the Ignore list or I just by-pass or do not select that value to be changed / cleaned / deleted.

I think its safe to "assume" that cleaning the registry somehow changed the .arx file(s) enough to prompt chkdsk to see it as foreign or corrupt.

I guess we won't know for sure until you attempt this again w/o cleaning the registry first.

...screamer

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have been using Macecraft's Regsupreme Pro and FDISR for quite some time. I just do a normal scan with Regsupreme and then I let it fix(not remove). That way it fixes what it can and removes the rest.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever this way.

Pete

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks guys for your feedback.

I believe screamer summed it up to the tee why i experienced this. I won't be repeating that procedure again that's for sure. Another great thing i learned about FD-ISR is that it's very forgiving so if you do happen to fudge it's archives and even snapshots it leaves you a way out to recover COMPLETELY.

I'm still very overwhelmed by the pure power of this program's features and i can honestly say that i never before this one, encountered any software program that is so well refined and designed as reliable as it is. The way it duplicates ALL your programs and fashions them with all your settings intact into a neat little package called snapshots and allows you to even preserve those via archives is nothing short of Spectacular for me.

A user can finally enjoy what it is to experience true Freedom and not just always be tied down to only Imaging to recover your system.

Now just a little present from me to all of you. Some of you might know that i'm very high on customizing Windows so expect some of you will find these free programs useful for your own system. I currently use IcyRadio and RunMe.
    RunMe is just a little program launcher that adds a TAB to any 4 sides of your screen for easy access. It's Xtremely customizable if your the creative type. IcyRadio streams legal music sites. I always go for the Oldies. LoL

Enjoy!!
    .....More to come!

Authors Home Site

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.