Question about DNSCrypt

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by vei9, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vei9

vei9 Registered Member

I just downloaded it. Seems pretty legit although now I want to TEST DRIVE IT!

How can I view the connection to the DNS server? Can this be seen in something like tracert? Am kinda a newb with DNS stuff.

Thanks guys.

2. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

You could check it with Wireshark by listening to your network card, just follow these steps:
    then start listening and filter out everything but your own ip.
    Now just check if the dns protocols are encrypted.
    use the filter to only show dns
    Stop the scan.
    click on a list item that says dns and comes from your ip.
    Now click on the transmission protocol to see if it's encrypted.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I don't use DNSCrypt, but I'm under the impression that the old default was to send encrypted DNS queries to RemoteServer:53, but due to intermediary interception/redirection issues that was changed to RemoteServer:443. So if one is running a tight ship with all DNS queries DNSCrypted and using the defaults, they should *not* see any external DNS (port 53) protocol traffic. They would, unless they've made changes, see local ephemeral ports sending traffic to and receiving traffic from RemoteServer:443 via UDP... encrypted traffic which Wireshark won't decode.

Wireshark has problems capturing/displaying loopback traffic on some platforms including Windows (http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Loopback). In those cases users wouldn't see any internal loopback DNS (port 53) protocol traffic either.

IOW, for many users I think there would be nothing displayed when Wireshark is configured to show only DNS (port 53)... and that is the way they'd want it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.