question about defensewall and dropmyrights

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by WSFuser, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If I were to use either of these programs on my p2p programs or unreal tournament 2004 (game), would it break functionality? would my p2p program still be able to download files normally (to my F: drive)? would my games still be able to download files to its own directory?

2. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Yes, of course : these files will just be set as "untrusted" in DefenseWall, for the P2P as for the game.

Don't forget that you have 2 options anyway, with DW : You can install these 2 programs untrusted, or install them normally and set them as untrusted later. In these two situations, DW won't prevent anything to be downloaded.

Perhaps the review we made may help you to understand better how DW is working concretely :

http://security.over-blog.com/article-3030160.html

nicM ;)

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Sorry, when I said yes, it was in reply to your last question : "would my games still be able to download files to its own directory?"; I think I wasn't clear :oops: .

nicM

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I don't know about all P2P, but eMule is designed to be able to run as limited user. As to games, some of the use various anti-cheat programs that want to run in the background. You might have trouble with these.
    Mrk

5. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

No. The only thing about P2P- current download operations should be completed before make it untrusted.

Yes, there is no file system virtualization at all.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

thank you for the answers nicM, Mrkvonic, and particularly Ilya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.