Question about data breaches

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mick92z, Sep 6, 2018.

1. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Following several UK data breaches , such as Currys/PC world , where nearly 6 million card details were hacked , and now British Airways, where 380,000 card details have been compromised https://news.sky.com/story/ba-calls-in-police-over-customer-data-theft-from-website-11491980, I would like to ask, are pre paid cards a good idea.
    I try and protect my debit and credit cards , and use paypal as much as possible , but it seems companies that i may use them on are getting hacked.
    So would getting a pre paid credit card be a good idea for spending ? I realise the whole idea of a credit card is to spend money you don't have, but if you could afford to simply top up the card immediately prior to purchase, and in the future the company was hacked, the thieves would only have details of a card that could not be abused.
    Thanks for your thoughts

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Here in the US I know of no prepaid card that is free to get & or load/reload that doesn't require banking & SSI information. So a hack to the prepaid card issuer still exposes critical info.

I believe [not certain] it's still possible to get prepaid cards that cost money that have some or all the following costs: acquire/load/reload/monthly fees/inactivity fees & keep ones privacy. Each cost is ~$5-$10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.