QUestion about custom scan

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mongatu, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongatu

mongatu Registered Member

Hi,

I'm currently using EAV 3.0.657.0 and VBx64-SP1. I was wondering why when I click on Eset's computer scan, custom scan, in the window that comes up allowing one to select scan targets, every time that window comes up, only some of the folders are checked by default and many are left unchecked. Even if I check them all manually, the next time I bring up that window, again many of the folders are unchecked by default. For example the Windows folder is never checked, even though I clicked "save" after I configured the scan the way I wanted it, i.e., to include that windows folder.

Is there a reason for this behavior? In any event, I figure I must be doing something wrong. I basically would simply like to be able to have a pre configured scan that scans most, but not certain folders and files on my C: drive. It is quite an effort to manually check all those folders I want scanned every time and uncheck the ones I don't want scanned. Isn't there a way to automate this process?

So if anyone could offer some tips on how to configure and save a specific scan for future use, I would appreciate it.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It does sound like you have wrapped it around the axle and I'll attempt to explain the best I can.

If you will select computer scan, custom scan again and for the Scan targets box, you should have a By profile settings selection. If so, then select that. Then in the Scan profile box, one by one select the available profiles. For each profile selected, did the folders checked versus un-checked change as you selected the different profiles ?

That in itself was more informational of why you probably were seeing what you were seeing.

It's been my experience that one needs to first go into Setup\On-demand computer scan and then adjust each of the 4 default profiles if they feel they need to be adjusted from default. They can even create a profile and adjust it accordingly.

Once the profiles are complete, then select Computer scan, Custom scan. Pick the profile they wish to use according to the known settings they have put in place for that profile and then pick the targets and Save if desired.

Let's say for instance you have adjusted the In-depth scan profile in the Setup\On-demand computer scan area. You have also selected the Windows and Program Files folder as the targets in the Computer scan, Custom scan area and selected Save. Any time you into Computer scan, Custom scan and select the In-depth scan profile, you should see By profile settings in the Scan targets little box and only the Windows and Program Files folder selected.

3. mongatu

mongatu Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation. Still having problems though. See below:

That's what I would expect, but it doesn't seem to be working that way for me for some unknown reason.

Edit: Oh, wait, I think I see what you mean now. Need to first go to advanced set up, ondemand scan, scan targets, and make selections there. I'll try that.

Edit 2: Ok, I've got that working now but have encountered a further related issue. If I go into advanced setup, on demand computer scan, scan targets setup (for "in depth profile" for example) and select everything, it works and everything is shown as selected when I go to execute an on demand scan for that profile. However, if I exclude (and by exclude I mean uncheck) just one folder or item in the advanced setup, then a whole bunch of other stuff that I would want to have scanned suddenly appears as unchecked (i.e., excluded) when I go to execute an on demand scan under that "in depth profile." Perhaps if one thing is unchecked, all new or modified files that are not specifically checked are excluded? I don't quite understand this unwanted behavior since I would automatically want new or modified files to be scanned. Perhaps I simply need to exclude the folder or files I don't want scanned under the separate "exclusions" dialog in the advanced setup tree while keeping everything checked under the on demand scan setup?

Edit 3: This last approach solved the problem and kept those items excluded from the on demand scan while allowing everything else to be scanned.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.