Question about Checkpoint VPN

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by nightmaredanton, Feb 18, 2018.

1. nightmaredanton

nightmaredanton Registered Member

Firstly apologies for what is probably going to be a series of stupid questions! Basically I got curious after reading an article about potential spying on my home PC. Anyway I went onto the Windows Firewall and checked which apps were 'allowed to communicate' I found one in particular, Checkpoint VPN, which looked out of place. Anyway I checked when this was installed and, according to Windows, it was installed a year before I bought my computer from new and installed windows (I checked on cmd prompt for the install date) and has been 'modified' several times since. My computer is an ASUS so I checked whether Checkpoint comes pre-installed (although I still don't understand how it can have been 'modified' before windows was installed) and couldn't find any info about It apart from that its a company which provides software for remotely accessing PCs. Anyway mostly just curious but would be grateful if anyone could tell me why it might have wound up on my computer (is it sometimes pre-installed?) and also whether there is anyway of seeing what it has being doing (communicating) in the past and via which port?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. nightmaredanton

nightmaredanton Registered Member

Thanks very much very interesting read! So if this comes pre-installed with Windows is there anyway to check whether it has been communicating using my computer? Or is currently do so? As I understand it VPNs are to enable remote access so am just curious as to whether it is possible to monitor whether this software (which is enabled to communicate by firewall) is or has been doing so? Cheers!

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To avoid this in the future, I would advice you to install Windows Firewall Control, it will automatically block all apps from making outgoing and incoming connections except for the ones that you approve.

https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.