Question about backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Biozfear, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biozfear

Biozfear Registered Member

Hi

I got full disk image I made back in late 2011 using Paragon backup and recovery free 2011.

Is there a way I can "extract" the files/folders I dont want from that backup to delete, making the full system image smaller?

Thanks

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

No there is not, the Archive you created is read only, there is no way to modify it other than delete it.

3. Biozfear

Biozfear Registered Member

Cool thanks for the reply. Guess I have to do the hard way of restoring and then manually delete what I don't want and do a new image.

Thanks for the help!

4. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

You are very welcome.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you have the room on your backup device don't delete it. Keep it until you know you didn't accidently delete something you really wanted to keep.

Also, space premitting, it is a good idea to keep more than one backup image for a couple of reasons: you may need to roll back further in time than the last image in case of a virus or software problem. Also you can have a sector go bad on a HD or optical device which would render the backup useless. I had this happen once and had to go back 2 or 3 images before I found one that would work.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Is paragon drive still a free program?
    If so is it reliable at restoring images.
    Sorry for the silly questions im a noob to all of this.
    Im using the windows imaging program at the minute but it doesnt retain all the images.it deletes some of the older ones.o_O :ninja:

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There is a free backup and recovery program, check the Paragon website.

It is reliable at restoring images with the caution that the recovery environment is Linux and it may or may not have good drivers for your hardware. This is not a Paragon only issue, it is a common problem for any imaging program that uses Linux for the recovery environment.

The paid version of Paragon allows you to make a WinPE CD which is Windows based and tends to less problematic across systems. However, with the changes in WinPE licensing by Microsoft a bit of work is required to build it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.