Question About Applications that Act as Server

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by jeff58, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff58

jeff58 Registered Member

Greetings!

What is the proper way to define rules for applications that need incoming connections (acting as server) in Look 'n' Stop v2.05p2?

What I did was to look in the log for seemingly valid entries, right-click and create the rule. During rule creation, I did customizations like limiting IP addresses and ports and clicked on Applications to include the intended application.

My problem is that LNS activates the rule and opens the particular ports when the application runs, regardless of whether the packets trying to get in the ports are intended for the application or not.

As a result, in port-probing tests, when the application that acts as server is not running, the ports are stealthed. However, when that application is run, the ports are seen as closed and not stealthed.

Am I doing something wrong or lacking in defining the rules for these applications that need incoming connections?

Regards,
    Jeff

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

There is something wrong in the configuration.

The purpose of the Application settings in the Rule edition dialog box is especially for incoming connection for applications acting as servers.

So, if you associated the rule with the server application, normally when the server application is not running the port should be stealth.
    Could you verify the color of the icon for this rule ?
    Green means the rule is enabled (either there is no application linked to the rule, or an application is associated and this application is connected to internet)
    Dark red means there is an application associated to the rule and the application is not connected => the rule is disabled, the port not allowed and another rule in the ruleset will block the packet.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.