Question about a website

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gracie123, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hello,

I was reading this website http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1489&page=1 and I read all the pages... can anyone tell me if what this article says about a software firewall being ideal is true? I have heard from others and Linksys (the company that made a router I have at my home) that I don't need a software firewall. Yet others say its wise to have one.

Thanks,

Gracie

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

A software firewall is, in my humble view, the most important single security application to run - not only can it protect your system from outside attack but it can also alert you to any malware on your system trying to connect out (which no router-based firewall could ever do since they have no idea of what application is making the connection, only the port number used). It also allows you to impose restrictions on programs you may only partially trust and to protect your privacy by blocking "phone home" software.

3. gracie123

Hi Paranoid2000,

Thanks for your comments. I was again just curious if the article was true or not. :)

Gracie

4. matousec

matousec Registered Member

Hi,
    you can also read my article on this topic. Here is a perex:

5. gracie123

Hi matousec,

Thanks for the article. It's very helpful and informative :).

Gracie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.