Question abotu Trojans and Trojan Scanners

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Comp01, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Okay, I wanna check my computer for trojans, but seeing as I dont have the money for a Trojan scanner, I was wondering how well GFI online trojan scanner works? (http://www.trojanscan.com/) Also, If I had a Trojan, would my firewall alert me if it was trying to connect someplace? is it possible to get a Trojan by going on IRC? (No file sharing, or anything on it), I downloaded the IRC bot detector prog from Wilders homepage, and didnt find any IRC bots, and since I rarely download anything, never open Email attachments, etc, do I have that big of a risk of recieving a trojan or something?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Here's a thread with some recent posts regarding this rather unique online scanner. (Edit: Well, I see that you actually posted in that thread. See Paul's opinion near the end of the thread for the most reliable opinion on this scanner.)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13929

If it's a RAT (remote access trojan) it may very well trigger an alert from a resident software firewall running on your PC (depending upon firewall configuration, of course).

Well, you need to be careful in your software configuration to make sure you don't accidentally allow something by mistake, but, if you generally don't download any files, don't open any email that contain file attachments, don't expose any exploitable services to the Internet (i.e. allowing unsolicited connections in from the Internet), do keep current on all OS and browser patches, and do use tight security settings when you browse Internet websites, then your chance of getting Trojans is very greatly reduced.

In addition to the online Trojan scanner you linked above, you could also run a couple online AV scanners, some of which are not bad at Trojan detection. (See our Free Services page.)

Also, you could run an evaluation copy of either Trojan Hunter or TDS-3 to fully test your systems current state regarding Trojans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.