Ques about changing motherbrds

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Shippy, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shippy

Shippy Registered Member

Will be upgrading existing computer running WIN XP Home, currently using TI v7, build 634, having had no problems creating & restoring. New computer will have SATA hard drive, non-RAID configured, and new motherboard (MSI K8n Neo Platinum using NVIDIA nForce3 250 Gb chipset.) Existing motherboard is SOYO K7V Dragon +, with VIA chipset. I've been reading the forum comments, & am concerned. Here's how I see the upgrade proceeding:

1. Clone the existing drive on the old computer to a separate "backup" HDD which I use for just this purpose. It's a parallel IDE drive.

2. With new computer, plug in just the SATA drive, format using the Windows CD. Then plug in the "backup" HDD to the motherboard.

3. Using the TI restore disk made on the old computer, restore the data made from the "backup" HDD to the new SATA drive. This will be the bootable drive.

4. Boot from the Windows CD and choose the proper repair option, which should keep existing settings, force Windows to detect new motherboard, but require reinstallation of all the previous Windows patches/updates.

I'm concerned that the TI bootable rescue CD made on the old computer can be used to restore to the new computer, since a motherboard change will have been made. Does the "new motherboard" enter the picture during the restore process? I'm also wondering if the SATA HDD will be recognized by TI. What I want to avoid is a complete reinstall of WIN XP!!

I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks.......Lee

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.