Queen pardons computing giant Alan Turing 59 years after his suicide

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Thankful, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

What's the point of this pardon? He's dead.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The point is that alan can now rest in peace and his relatives can live safe in the knowledge that a mathematical genius did not go to his grave under a veil of shame.

It seems rather ironic that alans sexuality was under criticism and yet we now live in a society where it is wide openly accepted.

This is a pardon which is long overdue and his efforts at bletchley park and the ultimate cracking of the german enigma code was finally achieved should be fully recognised and alans private life should never have been under scrutiny.

4. The Red Moon

What a totally thoughtless comment to make.
    Did you even bother to read the news article..?

5. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Really? The Queen felt a need to issue a pardon fifty-nine years after the death of someone over a gay issue? Alan Turning doesn't give a darn, I can assure you of that. He was resting just fine. It sounds more to me like a political correctness move pushed by another rights group than any goodwill gesture. Regardless, the topic really doesn't belong here in my opinion. His computing contributions aren't the subject of the article, and it will be much too easy for this thread to explode.

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

If the thread explodes, I will ask for it to be closed.

7. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

In those days gays were prime blackmail targets and were not to be trusted with state secrets. That's just the way it was in every country back in the day.
    I hadn't heard of this guy before and I have a MA in modern European history. Thanks for the info.

8. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Really? Enlighten me. What does this do except some good PR to the Queen and something to be "proud" to the royal fanatics?

9. Dave0291

I had heard of him, and yes, those considered "different" have always been persecuted at one time or another, some continuing to be to this day. I just feel that the pardon doesn't make a bit of difference at this point. The "shame" isn't going to go away for Mr. Turing, he died under it and can't be brought back for an apology and a pat on the back.

10. Dave0291

Swim away from the hook :D

11. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

It may have brought some comfort to Mr. Turing's family, if any of them are still alive. To be honest, I posted this article since I heard of Alan Turing and Turing machines during my computer science classes in college. I didn't know a lot of information presented in the article and thought some forum members would find the article interesting.

12. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Pardoning is nice... but misses the point. What she should do is formally apologize to him. Pardoning him because of disgusting outdated laws? Yeah, fine, but kinda missing the point.

13. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

It was the right thing to do.
    Former PM Gordon Brown has offered a "We're sorry" before but a pardon was still a no-go.
    Part of the sentence for Turing was experimental chemical castration by massive injections with hormones, all in name of 'the crown' of course as UK justice goes.
    So a pardon by 'the crown' was long overdue.

For those interested, check f.i Bletchley Park Turing Bombe rebuild link to get an idea of the computers folks were working with to crack WWII nazi communication codes like used in the Enigma machine.

Edit; I think this 'royal pardon' can actually be seen as an apology. Quoted from the linked OP article
    It might perhaps seem silly such phrasing, if you're used to non-regal head of states but this sounds like a 'royal apology' to me.
    What the queen says is one thing, what she means is usually expressed by a member of government, in this case the justice secretary, Chris Grayling. link

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  14. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

There were thousands of people convicted in Britain because of that law. Now, after 50 years, they found sympathy for this guy. This is something like "let's play on both heads". Send a message to the normal people, but not upset the homophobes.

15. Hungry Man

On the contrary, it's taking a very famous case of persecution and saying "This was wrong". It should have been an apology though.

16. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Queen pardons ... completely anachronistic and irrelevant. We are in 2013.

17. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Nope, if you really want to be trusted you mention all people involved. Like it happened with the holocaust. Can you imagine the Germans apologizing only to one Jew for what they did during the WW2?

18. Hungry Man

I certainly agree that there should be an apology for all involved.

19. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

those blackmail rationales were just an excuse to go after gay people, as evidenced by the fact that US (and UK I presume) also convicted openly gay people (how do you threaten to expose someone who is already out?). besides, you can blackmail straight people too for affairs outside of marriage and what-not.

20. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Better very very late than never I suppose......

Well this is the pefect place to honor the father of all modern computing, dont you think ?

21. The Red Moon

Sadly alan lived through a very different society than our very own and things which are openly accepted today were considered a taboo then.

I sincerely think that his scientific accomplishments should be a prority and his personal life should be private.

Let him be remembered for the great work at bletchley park etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.