Qubes OS will ship pre-installed on Purism’s security-focused Librem 13 laptop

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by mlauzon, Dec 15, 2015.

1. mlauzon

mlauzon Registered Member

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...on-purisms-security-focused-librem-13-laptop/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

One of the big problems I have with hardware support for Qubes is that Intel continue their cash cow with glacial development of desktop and notebooks processors. The laptops only have 2 cores, which, if you're doing a reasonable amount of VM work is going to be somewhat constrained. Moore's law ain't happening in this space - I was recently considering resurrecting my lovely old Q6600 quad core, which remains not-too-shabby and is 10 years old.

Fortunately, it's my view that they will start to be eroded by the 8-core low-power chips that are part of the huge growth in the smartphone/tablet market. These will not do Vt-d and suchlike, but at least may finally encourage Intel to put a few more cores into their notebook/desktop mainstream chips at sensible cost, which would then benefit VM working and Qubes.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Off subject but then again a valid question for those seeking extreme privacy/security. What are their plans for handling INTERDICTION if a person is interested?

4. ComputerSaysNo

ComputerSaysNo Registered Member

The specs are not that great if you ask me. It's only real value is that it has hardware locks for webcam. I'll pass thanks.