Quality?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Ledsr40, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ledsr40

Ledsr40 Registered Member

How good is this suite? Is it better than running Outpost? How much does it cost to upgrade the AV to the suite? What if your outpost didn't expire yet, does Eset compensate you for that at all?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!

It's well known fact that Outpost is very good firewall and nobody can say something against this . Why choose Eset Smart Security - this is your choice . What I can say is that integrated protection is supposed to work better - all modules in one : a.k.a. antivirus/antispyware combine power with the firewall to keep you better protected and save resourses . This also eliminates any possible issues (you know that the anti-threat modules is 100% compatible with the firewall module and vice-versa) .

ESET Smart Security also has function to monitor file modification (if something malicious modifies an executable file ESS will warn you to prevent newly created infected file spread).

ESS is lighter than most other all-in-one protections.

As for the upgrade , you should contact your local ESET/NOD32 reseller , distributor or ESET themselve

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

The firewall in ESS is absolutely useless as it still turns itself off randomly.
    If it weren't for the warning Windows gave me I'd still be using it, surfing around happily with my system wide open to anyone and anything..

Stick to Outpost.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi , Brian ! :)

With all my respect to you :

There are many people who don't have this problem . I am one of them (I don't have it)
    I had this problem with the RC1 only but since 5 November (3.0.5xx) I no longer experience it . It must also be noted that the RC1 problem was just bug in the communication between ESS and WSC . Perhaps your problem is related to something else or partial bug ?

5. crummock

crummock Registered Member

I run ESS on three Windows Vista machines (2 x 32bit, 1 x 64bit) and have only briefly experienced the problem of the firewall appearing to turn off. This was at RC1 stage.

I have not had any other issues since beta2 stage either so i I'm happy with the suite.

My only criticism of the product is that it should prevent "any" tampering with it's own executable, even from administrators. You will find other threads on that issue.

My main critcism has for some time been the selective, or sometimes non-existant, way in which Eset staff respond on this forum especially as we are often reminded that it is their official support forum. Having said that I still bought the product as it seemed the best option on the market at this time taking all angles into account.

I tested a number of alternatives this year and kept coming back to ESS.

6. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

My firewall never shuts off either. There is a little problem with the "View workgroup computers" link in "My Internet Places" but there is a very simple work around for that. Marcos has been working with us on it and I'm sure they are working on a fix or it.

This App has only been for sale since Nov 5. There are some bugs but ESET is working their tails off to fix everything. It's no wonder they can't always be in here answering everybody's questions. They also need a day off once in a while. I'm sure they'll get all the bugs ironed out.

Personally I like it a lot. If I still needed to pay for it even knowing what I know about it now I would gladly fork over the $59.99.

7. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

The Eset people in this forum hardly are the technicians...

8. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

I'm not sure but I would guess that they are technicians. They're the ones that can read and write English fluently.

9. Ledsr40

Ledsr40 Registered Member

Outpost seems also to have a security suite.

Which one is lighter, the outpost or the Eset? Which one is better overall?

10. Marcin_K

Marcin_K Registered Member

I've been using Outpost Security Suite for quite a long time (mainly 2007 and 2008 for a short time). IMO the 2007 edition was better -- it was lighter yet with no significant differences than 2008. The new is quite heavy. I stay behind a router with built-in firewall so I choose the concept of antivirus/antispyware being the heart of a security suite. That's why I switched to ESS. Comparing to OSS it's almost transparent to the system.

11. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

I have used both Outpost Pro and NOD32 together on Windows XP Pro for a few years.

Although some people in this forum complain about bugs in ESS and NOD32, I have found that Eset's quality control is much better than Agnitum's (makers or Outpost). Every time a major new release of Outpost has come out it has taken quite a few subsequent builds of the software before a stable and reliable product is achieved.

I personally have never had a problem with NOD32, but have had a few problems (e.g. crashes and BSODs) with Outpost over the years.

The last version of Outpost that I used was 4.0.1025 which was a very good firewall but could be a bit heavy on system resources at times, especially when starting Windows and logging in.

From what I have read in the Outpost Firewall forum, Agnitum seem to have taken one step forward and two steps back with Outpost 2008. This has been re-written from the ground up to achieve Vista compatibility.

Neither program will be totally bug free for everyone as there are so many different combinations of hardware and software out there which may or may not cause conflicts.

NOD32 has always been very light on system resources.
    Since uninstalling Outpost and upgrading NOD32 to ESS I have found that my system runs faster and is more responsive, especially after logging in.

There are a few features that Outpost has that ESS does not, such as ad blocking and the ability to specify a time interval in the firewall rules to limit access by a particular application to a certain period of the day.

Outpost 4's self protection is also better than ESS, but can be a pain in the a** at times moaning when an antivirus or antispyware scan or defragmentation run is made.

I'm sure that Eset will add to and improve the features of ESS as necessary over the coming months.

The deciding factors for me were the fact that the computer runs smoothly without slowing down, stability and reliability and NOD32 past reputation for virus detection. :thumb:

12. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

I've had no serious problems with the suite, either in beta or the final, the firewall has never shut itself off with me.

The problem I have had and have been reporting to no avail in the beta and since the final is the Antispam toolbar morphing and disappearing at random, sometimes it has the full buttons (text and icon), sometimes just text, sometimes just icons, sometimes no toolbar at all.

This has been reported and is still happening, I'd like to know when a fix will be forthcoming as it's starting to get annoying now, not knowing if or when the toolbar will display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.