Qs: ZTE Warp Connect Mobile Hotspot - Do I need a Firewall/Router/LAN?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by zapjb, Nov 8, 2017.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

My current home internet connectivity is through a ZTE Warp Connect Mobile Hotspot.
    https://www.zteusa.com/warp-connect

Do I need a 802.11g Wireless LAN/Firewall Access Point and 4-Port Router?

If needed I'm looking at LG-Nortel LNWR100T 108 Mbps 802.11g Wireless LAN/Firewall Access Point and 4-Port Router.
    But it's from 2007. Nortel is a blast from the past for me. So if this would work I'll use it.
    http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=956495
    Couldn't find a better description I won't pay $40 more like $20.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

You did not say what you are trying to connect to this device. If you only use wireless devices, you don't need anything.
    No. This Warp device is already providing you wireless access. And you wouldn't want 11g anyway. That is ancient technology. You would want at least 11n (11ac is the latest).

Note this device does not support Ethernet connected devices.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Computers, cell phones & Roku. I know I have what I need to use these devices.

I want to know if I need a hardware firewall that would take the ZTE signal & provide a wireless gateway to my devices.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You could rig something with a Pi and two USB WiFi dongles. Or for more bandwidth, a small PC with two WiFi cards, running pfSense.

But considering the ubiquity of WiFi, and the need for security, WiFi-WiFi travel firewall/routers might be available.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If needed for reasonable security I want something super simple. Like the product I linked to.

6. mirimir

The LNWR300N connects to the modem via Ethernet. From @Bill_Bright , I get that the Warp device doesn't have Ethernet ports. So you need something designed for WiFi to WiFi. Basically a WiFi repeater. Except that you also seem to want firewall capability.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

My signal & speeds are good.

I want to know is do I need a firewall & is it possible seeing the ZTE Warp doesn't have Ethernet ports?

8. mirimir

Well, I don't like to use the Internet without at least one level of hardware firewall :)

But if what you have to work with is WiFi, you'll need something that does WiFi to WiFi.

Backing up a step, why are you using the ZTE Warp Connect Mobile Hotspot? Isn't there some 4G hotspot with an Ethernet port?

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Only option my provider sells. It's CDMA Sprint, I don't want to mess about with Raspberry PI, EMblah blah card.

I want to know in my setup if it is prudent to get a hardware fw & can I get a wireless fw? Or if prudent would a wireless hardware even work.

10. Bill_Bright

The problem is, where would you connect a hardware based firewall with this device? In effect, this "Warp connect" device is doing the same thing a smart phone does when you enable its "hot spot" capability. You are turning a cell carrier into an Internet access point. There is no place to insert an Ethernet device.

11. mirimir

Right!

Unless you do WiFi to Ethernet, and then Ethernet back to WiFi. Which might perform too horribly to bother.

12. Bill_Bright

Yeah, but how? Again, there is no Ethernet port on this device. WAPs (wireless access points) as found in "wireless routers" are used to connect wireless devices to the network. These WAPs are not designed to connect to other wireless networks. I guess you could turn the WAP into some sort of range extender thing, but that's Mickey Mouse, to say the least. And for sure, does nothing for security which I believe is the whole point here.

13. mirimir

@Bill_Bright - Oops, I wasn't thinking :( You'd need a Pi or whatever, with WiFi, plus a WiFi firewall/router.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks all.

15. Bill_Bright

I am curious to know what you end up with. Keep us posted.

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think I'll end up with nothing. I want pnp, not something I'll get flummoxed by.

Pnp is just a term I know there's nothing to plug.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.