Q regarding ESS firewall ?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by ChicknDip, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicknDip

ChicknDip Registered Member

Hi, where can we get so more info regarding the ESS Firewall.

I mean there are tons of slow, messy, or downward too-buggy to mention firwalls like Comodo, Symantec, etc...etc....

I currently use a router accompanied with, IMHO, the only real firewall to date, Kerio 2.1.5. I have yet to see another firewall so lightweight on resources that does ALL a firewall should do eg Application specific rules which all have their IN/OUT addresses perfectly bordered. Not some dumb wannabe-firewalls like Commodo that let some program do everything anywhere on the net once you click that ugly ALLOW button once it wants to connect to God-knows-where.

In short, Has the ESET Firewall the same nice refined features like Kerio 2.1.5 ? (Program specific rules + Program specific allowed/Disallowed addresses/ports)

2. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

The firewall in ESS is still under development. Nobody knows what it will be like when it's done. Their antivirus version 2.7 is very light weight and has great virus detection capabilities. Most of us who use it like it a lot and stick with it for long periods of time. I'm sure when the firewall is finished it will be awesome just like their antivirus.

3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Well I'm using ESS RC1 right now and I can tell you as a Kerio fan that the rule creation interface is very much like Kerio. You get an alert with the traditional Allow/Deny but also you get: an option to remember your answer, an option to temporarily remember your answer, and the best part, an option to add to the rule the port (local or remote) the address, protocol and log/notify option to the user.
    I think that with a little refinement it can be the best Firewall on the market, meaning that it does what a firewall should do and nothing more.
    Sure it won't pass any leak tests because it doesn't care about them but if you don't aswell then I recomend you try it.
    It has SPI and stealthes your machine, It has a simple IDS (compared with the one in Kerio) and a nice connection view like Kerio had.
    Some could even say the resemblance is incredible..... I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Ill leave you a Screen shot of the interface, You'll love it, trust me :)

Attached Files:

• ESS.JPG
      ESS.JPG
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views:
  4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

5. ChicknDip

ChicknDip Registered Member

Thanks MasterTB,

I'm really looking forward to dump my beloved rusty Kerio for the ESS. If it's as good as the AV, it MUST be a winner. :)

Is there any timespan when we can expect the final version of ESS ?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  6. gH0StrId3R

gH0StrId3R Registered Member

what do u think abt Look n Stop

i have got Nod32 AV 3 RC1 and Look n stop

7. rollers

rollers Registered Member

L and S and the av RC1 running sweetly together here too :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.