Q about VMware server

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by aigle, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems a rather dumb Q. I want to install ubuntu as guset OS in VMware server on XP Home.
    I am not sure whick package I should download. The botom one I think?
    Also is there any step by step guide to install VMware server itslef and then ubuntu in it.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

• vm.jpg
      vm.jpg
      File size:
      62.5 KB
      Views:
  2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

You want to install VMware in your current Windows system, right?
    So you download VMWare for Windows.
    After that, you install Linux as guest in VMware.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    aigle, the files you refer to are SETUP files for VMware Server.
    Windows installer is a single .exe which you run and that's it - the first one.

Now, as to guest machines:

You can use a pre-built machine and download it off VMTN
    http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/index.html

Or make an empty machine and then install it for yourself.

I've written about this quite a bit, feel free to try my guides.
    Mrk

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I am tempted to try VMWare Server but cannot find any definitive way of going about it. I have looked in http://www.dedoimedo.com/computer_software.html but that does not seem to answer my questions.

Where do I start?

Presumably VM has to sit on something so that would either be Windows, in my case 2k or some form of Linux. I did try Suse 7.1 some years ago but even after running it for several months got more frustration with it than pleasure. Maybe things have improved.

If I use 2k does VM install on my current setup or do I have to reinstall it. That would be a fiddle with this machine since I am using Lumberjacks BIOS to disable the RAID drives.

Do all my programs have to be reinstalled to run in VM?

If I use 2k then am I still open to the usual Win vulnerabilities and have to keep my current security running below VM?

So would mounting it on Linux be a better solution? I think if I did have to choose a Linux version it would be Ubuntu.

Hope someone can shed some light here.

5. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Think of VMware Server as program. You install it just like any other program.
    Think of virtual machines like computers. They are separate units - only they run inside your own machine. But for all practical purposes, they are computers.
    You can use W2K as your host platform.
    On it, you can install VMware Server.
    In it, you can install any operating system you wish - another W2K or a Linux or anything that will run on PC architecture.
    The host operating system will be vulnerable to its own exploits.
    The guest operating system will be vulnerable to its own exploits.
    If you run Ubuntu guest for example, then while browsing the net using it, you are not exposed to Windows vulnerabilities through that specific avenue of network communications. But your system is vulnerable as is.
    Any more Qs?
    Mrk

6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Ok - thanks

It is getting a bit clearer.

So you can run the system as is with VM alongside with 2k installed in it, and in that you can install any other program you want to test/try? Or a clean install of 2k - install VM - install 2k plus all existing and new programs. Is that the way to go? Presumably you cannot install an existing image into VM.

Maybe instead of the above use Linux as the base.

Don't know how Linux will handle the raid drives aspect. This is the work around for Win (second quote down) not sure how Linux will handle it?

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi David

Be aware also of another issue. Licensing. Not an issue with Linux, but it is with Microsoft OS's. If you install your W2k on the vm machine, it will be seen as a different computer, and require activation. It will probably not activate as the hardware is totally different. Also, although I didn't specifically look for w2k, Microsoft does make a general statement that vm machines are considered to be a totaly separate machine an you need an additional license.

Pete

8. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Peter

One good reason (amongst others) not to use XP. There is no XP type activation required in 2k.

I wonder just how many home users buy extra licences? <g>

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    It's really a personal issue. Some people like to obey the laws. Others don't. Plus the laws differ from country to country. In some countries, you can install Windows on more than one PC.
    Your W2K license issue is your personal problem. You'll have to see / decide what you want or need to do with it.
    And finally, Linux is always better.
    Mrk

P.S. RAID is nothing special. If you're installing Linux natively - which you are not, since you're using VM - you can decide to install it as RAID or not. Windows RAID has nothing to do with how you setup your Linux.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Wilbertnl
    Mrk

Thanks for quick replies.

Mrk

Will see ur guide and will post if I need more help.Thanks

11. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

Installing it on a second m/c and agree that is not right. Installing on the same m/c morally I do not see the issue - technically is another issue but don't see the justification. Don't know if this applied to 2k or it's that they can control it with XP. Anyway with Linux as the base there should not be an issue.

12. Peter2150

In reality the moral issue is the same. The key is having an OS on the host and in a VM machine, is having two copies of the OS running at the same time. I know when I installed XP on the VM machine, I did have to activate it. Wasn't an issue as I did have a separate license.

13. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

This can get bogged down in semantics. It is all on the same hardware running the same s/w. If I could fit for example a Mac o/s that would be different since I would be using another type of s/w.

I suppose you could argue that if you are using a virtual m/c then it does not actually exist in reality <g>

14. Peter2150

Hi David

No semantic's at all at least with Microsoft OS's They state it plainly, if you have two copies of say XP running, one on host, and one on VM you need a separate license for each, period. Real test would be activation. I didn't try as I didn't need too. I have the licenses.

Pete

15. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

No I was talking about the logic of it and MS does not figure in that.

Anyway back to the subject.

I have spent an afternoon trying to understand Linux and failing. I decided to go for Ubuntu and that installed without any drama, but when it came to trying to install VM there was just no logic to it. It seems you can only install the tar packages into UB but I could not workout how you can do that. I looked for info on the web but all that I found did not make any sense to me.

I did see that UB comes with a player version but that just seems to offer VM's but could not see that you could load Windows into it.

So now wondering if it is worth all the effort.

If anyone has any pearls of wisdom they would be welcome.

16. Mrkvonic

17. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Mrk

I did read your instructions but they do not tie with what I am faced with. On the VM d/l page there are a selection of binary zips in tar/rpm form. I know I need one of the tars but when d/l and unpacked I get four further choices. I don't think I got the right one but did try several. Some 20 Mb, others 100 Mb. I got them from this page
    http://register.vmware.com/content/download.html.

Also did not see anywhere where you had to d/l a licence number.

18. wilbertnl

19. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Man, you have to be more patient and read carefully:

... You will need to register to be able to download the VMware Server. After registering, you will receive the software serial number through email. After that, you will have to agree to the software EULA before you will be able to download the necessary files.

After you complete the above steps and reach the download page, you will need three packages:

* VMware Server for Linux (either .rpm or .tar.gz).
    * VMware Management Interface (tar.gz).
    * VMware Server Console, which will be included inside VMware Server Linux client package (.zip).

Marked in bold are the actual names of the downloads on the download page.

Download these to your /home folder ...

You can disregard other options and things that show up after you untar packages.

Basically, after you have these 3 files, all you need to do:

tar zxf VMware-server-<xxxx>.tar.gz
    cd vmware-server-distrib
    ./vmware-install.pl

Follow wizard

tar zxf VMware-mui-<xxxx>.tar.gz
    cd vmware-mui-distrib
    ./vmware-install.pl

Follow wizard

unzip VMware-server-linux-client-<xxxx>.zip -d /tmp
    cd /tmp
    tar zxf VMware-server-console-<xxxx>.tar.gz
    cd vmware-server-console-distrib
    ./vmware-install.pl

Follow wizard

And that's it.

After you install everything:

cd /usr/bin
    vmware

And there you go.

Mrk

P.S. wilbertnl, one thing they offer in the guide that I don't approve is where to place the virtual machines: they suggest /var/vm - I say keep the root uncluttered and select a sub-folder in home like /home/my_name/virtual_machines

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  20. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

Mrk

I can see now where I missed the registration link - not reading properly. I think now I have d/l the correct files. Did not think I would have had to d/l so many.

I am still battling with it but in the mean time have managed to lock myself out of Ubuntu by giving an invalid path to my login so am trying to sort that at the moment.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Mrk,

I got this message. I googled and I think IIS can,t be installed on XP Home. Do I need IIS for running Ubuntu in VMware server?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• vm.jpg
      vm.jpg
      File size:
      61.8 KB
      Views:
  22. wilbertnl

You don't need IIS if you run VMWare server on a single system, the IIS is needed when you connect remotely to the VMWare server.
    The VMWare server service is required and is 20 MB.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.
    I installed it and then installed Ubuntu i it. No networking etc, just a simple install.
    It took a lot of space as compared to VirtualBox( esp the virtual HD).
    Otherwise Ok.
    Unfortunately I don,t know how I can use dial up modem in VM. Without internet I don,t feel much attraction in VM.

24. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I don't know if there is a way to use dial-up networking within VMWare. Basically what I do is connect to the Internet (also via dial-up), then open up VMWare and the virtual machine. I then have Internet access when using Ubuntu, etc. From what I've read this is the only way it will work. I could be wrong, but have yet to find any other info contrary to that fact. You just have to make sure you have your firewall enabled in Windows - but your browser will be accessing the net through whatever OS you are running in VMWare. I have been able to run both the Ubuntu browser appliance as well as openSUSE using the Konquerer browser or Opera (which I downloaded and installed while in SUSE virtual machine). Unbelieveable how much faster your browser is in Linux!

25. wilbertnl

I don't have experience with dial-up in VM, but did you try to add serial ports to the VM?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.