Q about Partially Allowed Apps / Outpost FW

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by outpost usertoo, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello.
    I just installed Outpost Pro on an Xp Home machine.
    The problem is under the Application Settings Partially Allowed Applications I have some apps listed twice is this normal?
    example:
    DWWIN.EXE
    FTP.EXE
    MOBSYNC.EXE
    MSTSC.EXE
    RDPCLIP.EXE
    RUNDLL 32.EXE
    SESSMGR.EXE
    SVCHOST.EXE
    TELENET.EXE

All the above apps are listed twice. Is this OK/Normal ?

Thanks in advance

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think I've heard someone say that before.. I'm not sure what the problem was though. You might check on the Outpost Forum. I suppose it's possible to have an app listed twice if it's in 2 locations or something, but it doesn't seem normal to me, no. And if you change any of the rules for one of them, then you can't be sure which one Outpost will use later, so that's not good. You could try reinstalling and see what happens the 2nd time. Otherwise Paranoid2000 will most likely have the answer later tonight perhaps..

3. thanks for the reply, yes I tried to reinstall already that did not help. What would happen if I deletd the entry with the xtra slash? I am thinking it is a corrupt entry, perhaps if I did that then reinstall it maybe I will get lucky?

4. Whoops got ahead of myself here is more info

The path is the same on all except the 2nd entry has an extra slash.
    Example:
    1st entry: c:\windows\system32\regwiz.exe
    2nd entry w/extra slash: c:\windows\system32\\regwiz.exe

5. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I have nothing of the sort . Do not know why it is logged twice . I have a suggestion or two but , I will pass until some others can say what they think . Personally , I think there is a problem . Not a big one but , still , a problem . Good luck

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That IS weird. I don't see any harm in deleting all the ones with the extra slash. But I'm curious why it happens in the first place. Maybe a bug in Outpost? We need one of the Outpost experts to answer on this one..

7. I noticed something similiar while trialing LnS....Were you trying leak tests
    before you noticed the extra settings?

8. Kerodo, yes weird for sure

Just Wondering, no i have not done a leak test I noticed the entriies right after the install

I have removed the suspect entries, ran it for a while then uninstall/reinstalled but it did not help the entries came back:(

9. As someone mentioned in another thread

Ahhhhhhhhhhh the marvels of an install ....uninstall

10. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Paranoid2000 may shed more light on this...he knows the intricacies of OPFW.
    Outpost comes with pre-defined rules for 'some' applications. When you run those applications on your PC it may have to 'create' a new amended ruleset for that application, hence the added name with the double slash. In those cases it will pop up a window with questions to change the existing ruleset, but it never removes the original default ruleset.
    You can also create a new configuration (start over with the default rulsest) and delete the 'originally' created configuration, instead of reinstall.
    For all those trying OPFW, go here where he gives a good overview and explanation of the details of Outpost. It does cover the new Pro 2.5.
    I hope that helps.
    In here they have a thread about it, and it appears that it is safe to delete the instances with the double slash.
    Cheers :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  11. fredra, thanks :) thats just what I did.
    I saved a blank config and I am building rules as needed.

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.