python

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JackMangold, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackMangold

JackMangold Guest

I have TI 8.0 Build 800. I use 3.5" hard drives in external USB 2.0 enclosures to store images. An odd problem I have is that the imaging process is very slow when saving to one of the external drives when using the bootable rescue CD. Specifically, imaging about 8.5G to an 80G 7200 rpm drive takes almost 2 hours; the same image written to a 60G 5400 rpm drive takes less than 25 minutes. This is using the same USB port and cable, but different enclosures.

If I create the image from within Windows XP SP2, it takes about 5.5 minutes to the 80G, and about 7.25 minutes to the 60G.

Any ideas why the process is so slow when run from the rescue CD?

Thanks,
    Jack

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You have discovered that not all USB 2 chipsets are the same. Windows has drivers that compensate for the differences, but Linux (the TI boot CD) drivers are not so sophisticated.

3. JackMangold

JackMangold Guest

jmk94903 - To which USB chipsets are you referring? The ones on my motherboard, or the ones in the external enclosures? I'm using the same motherboard USB port and cable to each of the external enclosures.

Jack

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JackMangold,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also do the following:

- Launch Acronis Report Utility once again and select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed
    with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for
    report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy;
    - Rename the report created from under Windows to report_win.txt and report created using the bootabale floppy to report_diskette.txt.

Please also boot from Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD (build 937) once more and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices > mntdir/usb.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the usb.txt file from the diskette.

Please keep your "problematic" external USB hard drive\enclosure connected while creating all these files.

Send all the collected files to support@acronis.com along with the exact model of the external USB hard drive\enclosure and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.