PXE Server Almost Complete!!

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by HaVoCMeSS, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaVoCMeSS

HaVoCMeSS Registered Member

Hey Everyone!!

I have been doing a lot of research and checking out the forums here a lot. I have been trying my best to get the PXE Server/Client working with Snap Deploy 2.0 across subnets. At first, I was receiving the "PXE-53 - NO BOOT FILE NAME RECEIVED", but I figured out I needed to change some settings on our Windows 2000 Server that is being used strictly for DHCP. (Note I did not need to make any changes on our router/switches as they already had helpers setup). On our DHCP server for the 10.1.7.x subnet scope I set option 66 to point to our Acronis Snap Deploy server that has the PXE Server component installed and configured. I then set option 67 to point to the "bootwiz.cfg" file thinking it would be sufficient at the time. After applying the settings I rebooted my test client machine and vola I received an IP address along with the DHCP server and default gateway info. However, after that point the client hangs and never receives the boot files from the PXE server. Naturally, I thought that I needed to point to a boot image rather than the cfg file. I tried changing option 67 again only this time I pointed it to the ramdisk.dat file. This time I got a little further, the TFTP server responded, but gave me an access violation error. I also tried pointing to the kernel.dat file but the same error occurred.

So, I feel I am close to getting this working, but I'm a little unsure what file to point the DHCP server to. Is there a .bin file I need to point to or perhaps something else? Do I need to set any security permissions?

To understand my setup a little further it is as follows:
    1) Windows 2000 Server with DHCP setup and option 66/67 set for the 10.1.7.x scope. The server's IP Address is 10.1.0.88. (No software firewall)
    2) Acronis server with PXE installed and configured with IP 10.1.0.18. (No software firewall)
    3) The client workstation is receiving an IP from the DHCP server as 10.1.7.40, but does not receive the boot files from the PXE server via TFTP.

Does anyone have any ideas at all? Thank you all in advance!! :D

2. HaVoCMeSS

HaVoCMeSS Registered Member

For those interested, I have gotten even further in getting this working. To resolve the "access violation error" when booting the PXE client I changed the server's "Acronis PXE Server" service to log on using a local admin account we have setup on the server. Once I did this I restarted the service and booted the PXE client again. This time however it would show "TFTP...." and eventually it would give a new error message "PXE-E32: TFTP open timeout". After some more digging around I figured out that the file I should be pointing to from the DHCP server is a file called "bootwiz.sys". Once I made the changes and rebooted the PXE client it finally showed that it was booting the Acronis loader and was attempting to download the bootwiz.cfg file. However, after a few seconds I received a new message this time stating "Acronis Loader: No configuration file present". Not sure at the moment where to go from here as the configuration file is clearly present on the server. Anyone got any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.