Put your Anti-Spyware Apps to the Test!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Arovax is IMHO as light as it can get for a program of its class.Even Winpatrol that is a poller eats more resources.

The screenshot is CPU/PID/CPU Time/running since time/RAM.

Attached Files:

2. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

OK! Here it is.

1. In "Preferences" Tab, take the Hotkey = "PrintScreen", "Hide icon when capturing", "Preview captured image" and "Run at Windows startup" options

2. In "Source" Tab, take the "Rectangular area" option + "Capture Mouse cursor"

3. In "Destnation" Tab, take at least the "Copy captured area to a File" and "Ask for the name after capturing" options plus in "Open with", I have "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe", because it's just my favourite viewer

4. In "Image" Tab, take the "JPEG Bitmap" format

After this you can split the picture in the parts like this and combine these together afterwards in M$ PowerPoint.

Best regards,
    Firefighter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Is it possible to run SpywareTerminator with HIPS enabled and ArovaxShield at the same time when surfing? Just because SpywareTerminator is much CPU friendly than AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 with resident shield enabled. :mad:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

which overlooks the excellent aspect of HIPS in teaching the clueless about security. Most any user can disable their security, but the real value of a HIPS is to just one more time warn someone that maybe, just maybe they shouldnt just click allow.

I configure a computer or two a month for folks, I generally do it from the ground up, install and run over 90% of the software it will ever see, show them what it takes for them to install software past the HIPS and basically tell them if they aren't installing a completely trusted ap, and this window ever pops up (see this screen here? very bad juju) they need to think really hard about if they give a damn. Because if they screw it up, the only option I'll provide is to re-image it to the day I gave it to them. I can't after the fact fix it and guarantee its 100% clean these days.
    (their data is on a separate partition, but all aps, rules customizations ect will be lost)

And of course the clueless's little rugrats generally aren't even told about the HIPS so it simply autoblocks with no prompting for a rule. They'd need to master cracking the admin account before they figure out why,
    at which point I generally make then the admin. :p
    Its pretty gratifying to see a clueless n00b running a hash on a bit of freeware and thinking about it a little more before hitting that button ;)

paranoia is a contagion, just call me Typhoid Mary :-*

spycar\towcar doesnt seem to get very far on my boxes
    "You need to actually run some tests before attempting to cleanup"

it does seem rather simplistic was expecting something more along the lines of ATK but for spyware, with various new plugins available

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I just wonder why Cyberhawk doesn't do better with this test? It did so well in that other test that a thread was started about here not too lonng ago.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This Spycar thing is just a simple registry modifier, only apps that are protecting the registry keys will pass them all, but what I´m trying to say is that you guys need a good registry protector, like for example KAV/KIS, ProSecurity or SSM Pro. It´s cool that Arovax Shield passed the test but what if spyware will try to modify other registry keys that Arovax does not cover?

Also, most AS tools do not protect the registry for some reason, so that´s why it´s no surprise that most tools fail. You got to put this test in perspective, I really don´t know why some of you are getting all excited by this simple and IMO quite silly test. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.