Put the internet back under your control with the FreedomBox

Discussion in 'hardware' started by guest, Apr 22, 2019.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, sadly enough :( But what's stopping them isn't something like their ISP cutting them off.

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

That way of thinking should lead to something like ban of cars with more than one seat for people that not opened a commercial company, because they are likely to provide not "purely personal service" i.e. drive friend to work or shop. Or at least massive and invasive investigation of people by IRS or other tax agency with cars with more than one seat, because they may do something not "purely personal".

3. mirimir

I'm not making this up. Just check out your ISP's ToS. If it doesn't exclude hosting websites, great. But unlikely, I think. In the US, at least.

Edit: For example, Comcast:
    https://cdn.comcast.com/-/media/Fil...ev=37ca61d3-a7f6-4a20-bd33-3d72ffeb9d5a&la=en

4. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Well, so for people in USA it is not an option. They can pay for IaaS (VPS in the cloud) and install FreedomBox there, though.

Does it mean I can't even remotely manage my own laptop via SSH connecting from Internet?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  5. mirimir

Sure, they could so that. Or just Debian and nginx, and call it a day ;)

You can probably run whatever you like, as long as you're the only one using it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.