PureDarwin rises from the dead

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/puredarwin/72stXsTqVCo

Not that I have much love for Apple... But I've experimented with the older versions of PureDarwin, and I thought they had a lot going for them. In particular I noticed it had a lot of CLI functionality that Linux doesn't - e.g. a daemon for mounting external drives, which (unlike UDisks) can be properly used from the command line and (unlike OpenBSD's hotplugd) doesn't require knowledge of regular expressions.

Anyway IMO it's great to see progress on bringing PureDarwin up to date; pretty much any addition to the UNIX kingdom is welcome.

NB: if anyone wants to try this out, keep in mind that driver support for real hardware is probably all but nonexistent right now.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The latest alpha of Haiku OS is worth testing.

It still doesn't have a package manager and a lot of apps to install. BEOS is only beginning to catch up with Linux and progress is s-l-o-w!

3. I have high hopes for Haiku. Its unassuming appearance, intuitive and simple GUIs, and good performance on low-end hardware are (IMO) like an oasis of common sense in a desert of shameless glitz.

That said, it has a long, long way to go.

Edit: Haiku is a different niche than PureDarwin though. And a different topic. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.