Purchasing a new laptop with Windows 7

Discussion in 'polls' started by daf, May 9, 2009.

?

How long would you leave it before buying a new shiny laptop with Windows 7 as the OS

1. 1 day - I want it more than anything

7.1%
  2. 1 month - Teething problems ironed out first please

11.9%
  3. 3 months - I remember Vista... I want SP1 before I even touch it

35.7%
  4. Never - New laptop? We're in a credit crunch you know!

19.0%
  5. Other - I'm awkward

26.2%
  1. daf

daf Registered Member

2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

same here, 3 months wouldn't have been long enough for vista. i would probably give 6 months to a year. give it any longer they will probably be working on a replacement:(

3. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

I waited until the start of this year to get a laptop with VISTA on it... and while most of the bugs have been shaken out, I still see things that could be tweaked here and there... and since I saw problems with IE8... I will let Windows 7 shake out a lot longer before I consider using it...

Heck, I am still running Windows 2000 on a couple of desktops... and a friend of mine is still running Windows 98 (although I think I finally convinced him he needs to upgrade to at least Windows XP)...

So... I voted other... because it will be a LOT longer than 3 months before I even consider it, but I don't say NEVER because, after all, I ended up with the dreaded VISTA laptop...

Regards -
    -Bob

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I already use W7 RC as a primary OS, do I need to say more. :)

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    New laptop? No need for new hardwarefor me. Win7 runs great on current laptop, tested on one of my spare hard drives. When the official version is released via MSDN/Technet/ActionPack...I'll migrate my data to it and make it my full time OS on my primary laptop. Current primary laptop is a Thinkpad T60p, Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs of RAM, 256 meg ATI Fire graphics, 7,200rpm hard drive, Centrino wireless.

And probably wifes laptop shortly after that.

Win7, unlike Vista, actually runs great on existing hardware. I've read colleagues on other forums installed the beta on old hardware just to see how it ran....upper Pentium 3s, early P4s....runs pretty much like XP ran on them.

6. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

I'll wait till they release win7 sp1 :shifty:

7. Gaeko

Gaeko Guest

:eek:
    This is really hard to answer.
    I guess when my laptop with Vista breaks down,
    I'll buy a new laptop with Windows 7.
    Depends on how long my laptop lasts. :p

8. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

It would be a year for it to settle down , make sure games work etc.

have 20+ games to play on current laptop before going near a new one :)

9. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

Ack... I didn't even THINK about the games... heck... most of them are still tailored to XP... ))) well... the ones that *I* tend to gravitate to...

Regards -
    -Bob

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I was kinda hoping some of the new tech would be in laptops before w7 releases. e.g. i7 or a version of it, ddr3, the yet unreleased HD 5000 ATI series, SSD's, etc... doesn't look hopeful though, I figured if they all came out this year maybe the price would drop and make a good Christmas present :D

11. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Sounds like another rush job for Microsoft to release this new OS for primetime early than 2010 release year. What's the rush? They need to make sure everything from security, OS bugs, drivers and etc work right out of the box. I can't see why would anyone buy a Windows 7 laptop as the country and most the world are in Windows XP phase. While those who were touch by Vista hand have to make sure their system can handle Windows 7. I'll give it 1 year to before the rest of the world make the switch. Corp American Companies don't rush out and get the latest from Microsoft. I know two huge names here as clients have been working on Vista (Model Office Lab) and still can't figure out why it won't work with their in house software(stuff they create for themselves) That's why XP Pro SP2 is where most of them are at.

I can't see everyone ditching there laptops for Windows 7 laptop just yet..

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've tried Windows 7 RC, and it works very well on my current laptop (I kept an image of it). If by the time I get another machine Win7 is available, I'll get it with or without a SP. Win7 is basically ready, it can't be compared to Vista's first release. On the other hand I wouldn't pay more than 100 $ to upgrade from Vista which is still my favorite OS.

13. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Good to know, but my systems are ready to go with Win7 but there need to be support for software applications developers for it. Otherwise everyone going to stick with XP. To much driver issues with Vista and Vista Business for me.

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Laptop? Nope. Don't need no lap top. :)

If I do buy one it will be a Mac. :)

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dont need a laptop.
    im probaly gonna get windows 7 pro for my desktop thou.
    I like vista and windows7 is faster and has some nice tweaks to the interface and some nice under the hood changes.
    I will finaly have time to test the RC tomoz

16. progress

progress Guest

1 month - Teething problems ironed out first please :)

17. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I'll buy a new machine when I next need to, not before. My purchases are driven by requirements, not features such as new operating systems.

18. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

no incompatibilities for me on Win7 yet, dozens of games all working. with Win7 i see no need to wait, its extremely polished already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.