Purchase now?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by dallen, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Mayor McCheese (I like that name by the way),
    I agree with a lot of what hollywoodpc has said regarding the upgrade. However, I want to clarify one thing. I've owned TDS-3 for a long time and I've always received free updates. When I say updates, I mean new reference files. I've heard a rumor that these updates could change to a subscription-based service. However, there has been a lot of speculation about how things will be handled when TDS-4 comes out, but that has been mostly speculation because the developers are busy developing and consequently can't spend a lot of time giving real-time information on products in the works. A lot of what's being done seems to be undocumented and requires a lot of hard work and research. This fact has resulted in significant delays in the release of the highly anticipated TDS-4. There's little doubt that TDS-4 will be a kick-a$$ product, but the questions that many have is "When will TDS-4 be released and what will it be like?" My advice is research the various options you have for trojan defense (which you will likely find TDS-3 and Trojan Hunter to be the top choices) and assess the status of the companies behind them (in other words, decide which company will likely be around in the future to support their product) and make your decision. I did this and I own TDS-3 and almost every other DiamondCS product. Knowing what I know now would I make the same decision? If I were in your situation right now, I would utilize the 30 day evaluation for protection and evaluation, and if a release date wasn't known by the expiration of the evaluation period, I would reconsider all my options.

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Personally, I think TDS-4 will be worth the wait.

I also think that - as long as I get to choose the "full-bells-and-whistles" version of TDS-4 - with all (and maybe even more) toys than TDS-3 has, that I won't mind a bit paying for def updates on an annual basis (if that indeed is what is in the wind).

I look at it like this - I'm already paying $30+ a year for NOD32 - what's the difference?

I'm assuming everyone realizes that the company (DCS) can't grow to include more programmer's ,etc., unless they have the cash flow to do so (or at least, it's perfectly obvious to me).

I'd buy TDS-3 and wait for 4. Just my .05 centavos. Pete

3. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I just want to clarify that I didn't mean to imply that a subscription would be bad, I just wanted to state that it was rumored.
    I agree that paying for the hard work is acceptable, as long as a fair upgrade is given (and I'm sure it will be) as promised. Again, I was just mentioning the rumor and did not want to imply anything about the fairness of it, or the truthfulness of it for that matter.

4. feddup

feddup Registered Member

Slightly but not completely off topic. DCS had a package deal on TDS and port explorer. I balked at the price but was reconsidering. I can't seem to find the deal now. Anyone know if the deal still exists?

5. dallen

dallen Registered Member

feddup,
    Are you talking about the "Action Pack" deal?
    ACTION PACK

6. feddup

feddup Registered Member

Precisely! Thank You!

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just a general comment here.

Purchase decisions are always difficult. You are committing to a specific direction and even though the amount may seem small to some, it is a significant investment to many.

My advice is fairly constant on this topic - buy only based on the performance and features of the product that is available today. Wipe any knowledge of forthcoming releases from your field of view during your evaluation period. Trial products as appropriate, make a preliminary assessment, and then weigh in with potential future developments. If the future options change your preliminary assessment, that might be a signal to wait.

I've outfitted all 5 of my home PC's with TDS-3 and do not regret doing so based on the current performance of the product. It is positioned as on-demand on all these machines, and that is certainly a facet I will reassess when TDS4 hits the streets. Based on my assessment at that time, it may go realtime, or I may stay with my current setup, but that call gets made with fully released products in front of me.

If financial or other circumstances were such that I had a choice of one AT product only, I would not hesitate to squarely put my feet down in the DCS camp. The reason is the diagnostic tools available today within TDS3. AT detection performance is on par or better than the competition, but the accompanying toolset is what sets TDS3 apart. You can piece parts of this set from various applications/facilities on the net, but TDS3 has a nice tight package in one place, which is something I appreciate. Naturally, if this aspect of the product is not something you will ever use, it shouldn't weigh in on your decision.

When I look at the product offerings of DCS, particularly with respect to how Port Explorer and Process Guard fit into the general landscape of malware detection and prevention, I am very comfortable with my choices - I own every DCS product offered, and regularly use all of them.

Blue

8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Blue,
    Wow!!! You "current setup" is quite thorough. I'm impressed. I have a couple of questions and you can PM your answer or post it here as you see fit.

{Edit by BlueZannetti 3/4/05 - The discussion of a number of products in general is continued here}

Regarding your posting, I agree with 99% of what you said and I would like to comment on the 1%, if I may.
    Take a product like TDS-3 that requires frequent updates to remain effective. Today the performance and features may be superb, so I buy it. Tomorrow they go out of business and stop supporting it (a hypothetical that is unlikely in this case). It won't be long before the product deteriorates in performance relative to those products that remain actively developed and supported. So, I feel that consideration of the likelihood of the company that produces/supports the software remaining a going concern is imperative when deciding on a product of this nature.
    I've had a somewhat difficult time finding information about Diamond Computer Systems Pty. Ltd. However, I did read a thread in this forum that suggested that DCS consisted of three guys, Wayne Langlois, Gavin Coe and Jason Annice and that one had left to start another company.
    Trojan Hunter seems to be similar in that it consists of a guy named Mangus and maybe a small team of two others.
    When I initially posted my thread, I thought that DCS was a small company where Trojan Hunter was produced by a bigger company. It seems that they are both relatively small and unlike a publicly held company, gathering financial data to assess status of either of these companies and their likely of remaining a going concern is difficult, if not impossible. The only methods I can think of is to try an guage their level of support (through reviews and forums), the quality of communication with their customers, and the openness of the company to its customers. It is difficult.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005
  9. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Gentlemen - please remember this is the TDS support forum, so if you wish to discuss the list of software Blue has posted a link to that he uses, you can pick up the discussion in this thread: Security that you use and its purpose - DISCUSSIONS

If you wish to discuss other DCS related software, please feel free to open a new topic in the DCS forums rather than take this one off-topic.

Thank you,

snap

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks snapdragin, The RegDefend forums are here on wilders with the appropriate information and links.

As Blue has stated: Buy the product based on your own evaluation of the product as it is. Research the product where possible and consider such aspects as usability i.e does the product suit me & does it compliment my current set up? Reviews can also help you form an impression. Are there regular updates such as new definations? Where these could be an important aspect. Finally, for me, product support is always an important factor.

There may be other important factors to consider depending on ones personal needs such as cost of purchase, learning curve and even training.

TDS3 is still an excellent product and deserves serious consideration for users that want probably the best Anti Trojan around.

Enjoy your weekend. Pilli :)

11. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Finally, for me, product support is always an important factor

I have always dealt with Gavin and never had a problem . As a side note , I have dealt with Jason alot as well and never had a problem . Both these guys are GREAT . Bottom line is TDS - # is very good at what it does and the support is outstanding .

12. BlueZannetti

Just to let everyone know, in order for unfettered discussion to proceed without going off-topic or off-forum, I've moved Stro's post here and split off part of dallen's post above to here. Let me deal with following up on those two topics before returning to this thread.

Blue

13. BlueZannetti

dallen,

Aside from a few of the old-line AV vendors, the majority of the players in the PC security business are small private business operations. This is neither intrinsically good nor bad. But as so aptly demonstrated on a continuing basis in all areas of business, raw size is no guarantee of longevity. Sometimes it is a simple takeover, other times it is an over extension of resources, sometimes it is a long series of poorly conceived moves, but there are plenty of examples of large, seemingly heathly businesses falling very far, very quickly. It is prudent to be aware of financial information when it is available, unfortunately that will only be the case for public corporations.

It is also critical to appreciate that the software business is a little different from operations which provide hard services or physical goods. The capital barrier to entry is effectively nonexistent. Furthermore, very effective electronic distribution can be handled almost immediately from a website prepared in a few days, removing the need for both inventory and retail distribution channels. It's an industry that can be and is directed by singular passionate individuals. That's what I tend to look for in making my assessments of a program choice. I want to see the folks at the helm and in the trenches willing to expend some passion for their beliefs in themselves, their company, and their product. These are the folks who are going to stay around for the duration. They will gut it out in hard times, and be there for their customers in good times.

I didn't take me too long to realize that the soul of DCS is cut from this cloth. If I was buying a large piece of capital equipment, I'd look at things like free cash flow of an operation, support infrastructure, repair statistics, and so on before contracting a purchase. However, for anti-malware programs, I look for technical excellence, a fire-in-the-belly passion, and lead from the front work ethic in the key people. Personally, I think I just described Wayne and his crew at DCS. This is why I initially became a customer. Their continuing technical excellence is what keeps me returning with each new release and what makes me a very satisfied customer.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.