puran defrag; thinking to buy

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by cet, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I am trialling puran defrag.I am impressed by this program.I did a boot time defrag but I did not see any improvement because I had only 1 fragment in MFT:rolleyes: .
    I have3 questions
    1.The price is reasonable,is it one time only or do I have to pay for the newer versions.
    2.I see Puran defrag in the ''services'' tab and it is disabled(startup type).When is it used?
    3.The program GUI takes some time to initialize,is it because of trial or is it always like that.Thanks in advance.

2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

1/I got free updates from V4 to V6, but this may change and you should only count on minor updates.
    2/ It's used when you activate scheduled defrag
    3/ No time to initialize on my system

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

1: free updates for me i just downloaded newest and installed and it went over the old one.

2: same as above

3: i see 0 none i me literally no impact from puran whatsoever i can even use the system while defraging though i normally dont but its just that light. my second pick perfect disk 10 is much more heavy on my systems than puran.

but overall LOVE puran defrag it defraged a drive perfect disk 10 (newest version at the time on win7 .119 i think) just kept locking up on. puran went right through it like nothing

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

An email to Puran inquired re length of license. Their reply: it is lifetime. Okay... I believe them (for now).

I am 10 days into a 30-day trial of Puran. After defragging with Puran, I really really like the evident zippiness of my computer.

My present intent is to buy BUT (per a vow I made to myself a while back) I shall force myself to finish out the trial before plunking down the cash.

5. man oh man i just checked this defragger out the GUI is really appealing . has great features better then the diskeeper i have now.

6. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I've owned Puran defrag for a while and it's been reliable, provided a good disk optimization, and doesn't take forever. I certainly recommend it. I also own PerfectDisk 10 and think it's reliable too, but I prefer Puran's disk optimization instead of PD's Smart defrag strategy. Of course the price is nice. :D

:thumb: :thumb:

7. MerleOne

Puran has also a feature very useful and rarely found in other products (Vopt) : you can exclude files from defrag using either a mask (*.mpeg), a given file or folder, or size. Most defragmentation tools have either one of them, but not all.

8. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks for all the answers.I am on the 2nd day of trial today.I will buy it next week.It will be a birthday present for myself.LOL.

9. MerleOne

One minor thing though :

I find that sometimes, when you re-defrag a disk that has already been defragged a few days ago and where changes are minimal, Puran re-optimizes it by making a lot of changes.

The only defragmenter that handles this correctly is DefragExpress from DiskTrix, but I find Puran Optimization to be superior.

If you use a sector-based disk imaging software, then Defrag Express would be better, if not, I would recommend Puran.

10. cet

cet Registered Member

Ok I just bought it.No other defraggers for me.LOL

11. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Its a great and light defragger. Its also very simplistic in design. I like it and use it.

12. bellgamin

Rats! I went to buy a Puran license, but it uses Pay Pal. I do NOT like to use Pay Pal.

I sent Puran support a message asking if there is a way to use my credit card without involving Pay Pal. I await an answer. If their answer is "No" then I will seek a different defrag software, even though I like Puran a lot.

13. cet

cet Registered Member

My bank links a virtual card to a real master card.I can set the limit for the virtual card.And I linked my virtual car to the Pay Pal and verified it.:D
    And bought Puran defrag.

14. i am using trial now its very good my pc is faster after defrag and optimizer feature were used. This looks like a keeper

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Their support is good, quick to reply. When using the program, do others check the box to use 'PIOZR'?

Also, out of interest, anyone compared the free JkDefrag, now known as MyDefrag ( http://www.mydefrag.com/index.html ), and puran? Both seem to do well in the benchmark tests.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  16. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I just installed Puran today. Defrag runs much quicker than Perfect Disk but I am not sure I am seeing any performance gains. Not sure if it noticeably impacts performance but I checked the PIOZR option.

17. Saraceno

I noticed mydefrag now has a 'monthly' defrag option. Been running it and it's taken a few hours+. I'll see if there is any difference noticeable between the two.

18. bellgamin

My aversion to PayPal wasn't strong enough to make me pass up this bargain-priced, superb defragger. Also, Pete helped convince me that using PP's fob-password thingee makes it reasonably safe to use PP.

So I'm now a licensed user of Puran, and VERY satisifed with its speed, effectiveness, GUI, small footprint, & simplicity. :thumb:

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

congrats i love puran..

20. Saraceno

Puran is a great program. Trialling it along with O&O defrag 12. Can't decide! ;)

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Great. Glad you are happy.

22. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

I don't understand what MerleOne means by this. I am currently trialling Defrag Express, and considering that or Puran. UD looks, good, but I am looking for something basic.
    For imaging, I use Paragon and also SP. I don't know a lot about defragging, or which one would be better. I know (think) Puran has boot time defragging, but I don't know if that's beneficial or not.

I have Paragon's 2010 SE, but it is SLOW. ANY help/advice is appreciated. BTW, Defrag Express is $8.00 this month!

And this is not the dreaded A vs B thread, I just am looking for an explanation of features of the 2.

Thanks,

Jim

23. bellgamin

AFAIK, the "A vs B prohibition" only applies to comparisons between antivirus programs.

From Puran's website HERE . . .

In any event, IMO you won't go far wrong, no matter which you choose (Puran or DefragExpress). Good luck with whichever you end-up with. :D

24. MerleOne

When you perform an image of a disk, say C:, then defrag it, then perform a differential or incremental image of C:, you will notice that the size of the second image can be huge even if no file has been updated. It's because many files may have been moved.

By chosing a defragmenter that moves files as little as possible, you keep your image backup at a reasonable size.

25. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Disable "PIOZR" and the movement of files will be drastically reduced.
    If you do differentials or incrementals often it is wiser to disable the "fill gaps.." feature after you take your full/basic image and your incrementals will be tiny. ;)

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.