puran defrag 6.0 issues

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by zfactor, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

have to admit i really like this program. and it seems to work very well. but i see one major issue and ive had this on a few systems.

i tried puran. then i decided for a while to go back to perfectdisk just because i was not sure of puran. well after going back to perfectdisk i tried a boot time defrag with perfect disk. it said could not run due to a driver conflict. i said okay i went in and made sure all pieces of puran were gone. now i tried to re-run it. this time it said it could run but i had to run chkdsk to to errors on the drive. these were 100% not there prior to puran defrag running its boot time defrag (only ran it twice). i ran chkdsk and it corrected over 100 entries.

rebooted and now i was able to run perfect disk boot time fine.

just to be sure it was from puran i repeated the above process. uninstalled perfectdisk. installed puran. used puran for boot time and disk defrag. everything looked great with puran.

removed puran reinstalled perfectdisk. SAME issue. there were errors to the mft and some descriptors that chkdsk /r fixed and only after that could perfect disk be ran.

any thoughts or ideas why this would happen. i really like puran's simple and FAST interface and defrag times are super fast. imo faster than most out there. and it does seem to do a decent job overall. but why does it seem to mess with the mft and cause these disk errors?

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

What OS? Vista?

Probably is related with the Volume Snapshot Service, shadow copies.

You must exclude "System Volume Information" folder from defragment, or disable system restore

Perfectdisks "Vss combatibily mode" automatically excludes "System Volume Information" if system restore is enabled.

Panagiotis

3. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

Hi zfactor.

Maybe this isn't related to your problem, but there's driver conflict between Norton and PD (I assume from your avatar that you have Norton product installed). I don't know if it's solved or not since I stopped using PD while ago, but you may try uninstalling Norton and running boot time defrag with PD and see if this would help.

EDIT:

I found this thread in Norton forum, link

http://community.norton.com/norton/...&thread.id=7500&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  4. zfactor

the issue has nothing to do with nortons. it is a issue that seems to have come from puran defrag. if i run puran boot time defrag then uninstall it and the try to use perfect disk for boot time is when it fails and i have to run chkdsk /r to fix the issues or perfectdisk will not run. otherwise i have never had a single issue with perfectdisk and nortons.

5. LittleDude

LittleDude Registered Member

I ran some tests(XP SP3 with system restore disabled) with the same result. Puran seems to create the errors. Boot time defrags with PerfectDisk or UltimateDefrag didn't cause errors. Puran does have an option do do a boot time defrag with chkdsk but it would be a lot more reassuring if it didn't create errors in the first place.

6. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I suggest you submit your problem to Puran Support Service. They have been very quick and efficient in solving the problems or answering questions I had.

7. zfactor

yes these issues are for sure created by puran. i can literally repeat the process now and chkdsk does fix them each time but not nice it causes them in the first place.

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I tested it both on xp and on vista and cannot replicate your issue.
    No corruption is caused and perfectdisk 10 defrags fine offline (with puran 6.0 installed).

Panagiotis

9. zfactor

even with only puran installed on a fresh system (i did a fresh install just to see) i defraged with it then did boot time. then ran chkdsk and it found a ton of errors.

i skipped it.

i tried to rerun the boot time with puran this time with chkdsk and even after the initial boot time on the second boot chkdsk once again found errors. this has been confirmed for me on 3 totally different pc's now one laptop 2 desktops and on was done twice with a current install and a fresh install.

each time it caused chkdsk errors.

10. MerleOne

Do you have the same anti-virus on the 3 PC ?

On my side I have been using Puran Defrag since version 4.5, and never found any filesystem error after a defrag. I don't perform boot time defrag very often though.

Best thing is to report it to the publisher. They surely have debugging tools that can show what happens.

11. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Indeed, could be a conflict with Norton for instance

12. zfactor

no the fresh install had nothing but puran on it at all.

13. MerleOne

AFAIK, PD6 relies on Windows Defrag API, so it's really strange !

14. zfactor

issue seems to be fixed now.

anyhow credit where its due. puran on my desktop was the only one to for whatever reason fully defrag the mft!!! even perfectdisk could not do it after numerous tries.

puran is now running on my machine

15. MerleOne

Do you know how the problem was fixed and could you tell us ? Thanx.

16. zfactor

well on this system im sure it was down to a hardware driver. i did updates to 3 drivers and at that time perfectdisk refused to defrag my mft (said it did but when analyzed it had not done the job i wanted to see). i changed nothing else. no programs its still running nortons so that is not the issue. i updated the realtek driver to 2.17, the ati gpu driver to 9.2 and the netgear wifi driver for the wireless card i have installed.

so then i got frustrated with perfect sidj and decided to give puran another shot, i reinstalled it and issue was gone.

the first time i ran chkdsk there were no errors but it found free space allocated as mft so it fixed that. but no errors at all. and puran is running awesome. it doesnt load procc or use any resources other than sit there when not running. and its so much faster than even perfectdisk is. its just so fast

17. MerleOne

Thanks for the information !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.