Puppy Linux 5.6 "Precise"

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by hogndog, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Talk about good things coming in a small "170 MB" package try Puppy Linux i put this on a flash drive using the Universal USB Installer and couldn't believe how well it preformed..:argh:

Puppy Linux is yet another Linux distribution. What's different here is that Puppy is extraordinarily small, yet quite full-featured. Puppy boots into a ramdisk and, unlike live CD distributions that have to keep pulling stuff off the CD, it loads into RAM. This means that all applications start in the blink of an eye and respond to user input instantly. Puppy Linux has the ability to boot off a flash card or any USB memory device, CDROM, Zip disk or LS/120/240 Superdisk, floppy disks, internal hard drive. It can even use a multisession formatted CD-RW/DVD-RW to save everything back to the CD/DVD with no hard drive required at all.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07875

If you don't have a way to check MD5 look here

enjoy.*puppy*

Hogndog

Oops' here's the Installer

2. hogndog

Can i say this is faster than Chrome? :)

*edit: but its crashed twice, have to figure out what's causing that.

3. hogndog

I should have known better the crashing event appears to have been due to the old version of Firefox 3.6.19, I'm in 22 now and it seems to have cleared up. For those of you that are thinking about trying this release don't be fooled by the Puppy, this is a Big Dog.. and at 170 MB its a piece of cake to download..;)

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Puppy is great :)
    It´s very cool that now it can be directly installed to the HD (i think that now it offers that option in the installer, and previously it wont). The only thing i don't like is how copy/paste works, it's awkward like hell...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.