Puppy 4.31 ..wow

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Longboard, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Just got around to installing Puppy 4.31 'standard' in a VM to refresh myself: all I can say is ..wow. :eek:

Cant believe what is in this 100mb powerhouse.
    Obviously some apps stripped down and some standard bearers not there..but nonetheless amazing.
    What has impressed me greatly is the 'new' pkg manager "PPM"...fast; doesnt describe it.. dependency checker..simple..what might not be in the official repos is in the forums somewhere.
    LOL install of firefox.pet was an eye blink after the download.
    Multimedia..whatever you want is there.

To top it off, with some CLI tweaking the PPM can do amazing things..hard to describe: read this and prepare to be blown away...I mean it.
    http://bkhome.org/woof/ppm.htm

Might I suggest, that despite the imposed 'leanness" of Puppy, BK and his crew have released an absolute eye popper.
    Regards

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Puppy is an outstanding distro. I actually installed it once and it was mighty fast and lean. I came across the occasional bug and of course it only runs as root which is a bit of a deal breaker for me, as we are in a security forum that really should be a big no no from everyone here. In my opinion puppy is best enjoyed as a livecd to play with or use as an admin tool. Much love from me for puppy, one of my faves.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Agree the root issue is somewhat confounding.
    As u point out, Puppy was always meant to be a Live Session with stored settings etc, and on that basis; the root account seems a given.
    The installer came later.
    LOL, has bloated from c.60mb to 100mb ;)

Setting up users is possible but afaics NOT easy and according to some of the threads I was pursuing, might disrupt the system.

What makes me smile is that for a designed Live Tool, the installer is there and does the job (with a bit of tetching here'n'there), then the PPM is such a great tool. ( love the "trim the fat" box post install of apps: :D )
    So may of the system tools are improved oos recently.
    When the Pup is set-up: rocks.

PS: pure speculation on my part: maybe Puppy wasn't setup as a "Mainstream" distro ??
    The system itself and the skill and enthusiasm of the maintainers and community has propelled it to the current place in the sun ??
    http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/Puplets

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.