PUM's (potentially unwanted miners) warning

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by stapp, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

2. guest

guest Guest

This makes OpenCandy looks like a mini-boss. Hopefully all AVs will improve in the PUPs detection and prevention ability. Some of them aren't really serious about this one last time I checked it. :(

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Indeed, unfortunately there will always be users that are seeing PUAs, PUPs, and PUMs, more or less as unnecessary close to FP detections wich of course isn't good either. They're detected for a good reason, and if you don't want them detected then most if not all products have the ability to turn such detections off and they won't be bothered anymore. But I would download my software from other locations than from known PUA sources, instead of disabling these detections. :)

4. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

Better AV first line defence of PUA's like OpenCandy as an example, would help unwanted infections.

5. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

It does have a slither of bad brilliance/refinement in it when you dare to EULA someone into handing over 50% of his cpu/gpu time and any coins made instead of going for run of the mill ransomware. It just made me laugh. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.