Public Wi-Fi Security

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Judge Dee, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

In Windows when you first connect to a new Wi-Fi spot, you can choose whether it's public or private.
    Is there something comparable in Linux? (Ubuntu 9.04)

I'm helping my sick parents, and their retirement home has Wi-Fi in the common area. I'm a little concerned using
    my laptop to order plane tickets home with my debit card.
    Do I need to be?

I'm running Firestarter, if that makes a difference.

Thank you,

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ordering tickets ... if in doubt, there's no doubt ...

Second, make sure the digital certificates coming up for the site are correct. If you get all sorts of warning, then maybe the hotspot owner is redirecting traffic, in which case you would not want to continue using it.

Mrk

3. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Choosing "Public" in Windows turns off file sharing. So unless you have network shared folders in Linux, you are already in "Public" mode.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd also suggest if you have Paypal to make use of a 1time use secure card. It's a MasterCard from PP & it's free. I've used over 30 1x cards. It's available to any PP user. Site says you have download & install the PP plugin. That's half true. The PP site just wants to see that you've downloaded the PP plugin. Does not have to be installed. I haven't anyways. GL. :argh:

5. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Thanks for clearing up what "public" means, lewmur.
    I don't have Paypal, zapjb, so for now I'll just follow Mrk's advice and not do it.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.