Psyber Streaming Server problem??

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by nyang_haggai, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyang_haggai

nyang_haggai Registered Member

Hi,
    I'n a newbie on this site and I can't say I am well versed with networking issues - just enuff 2 get me arnd. I have a cyber cafe which I own & maintain technically. The problem is that of late the net has bn waaay slow at times (sporadic), and my ISP seems 2 have no answer coz they say the network looks fine from their viewpoint. I have a Red Hat box and have set high security on the firewall - and i'm using Proport (not eXtreme) to check the performance on individual machines. Sometimes as Proport is running I see on the 'Traffic Monitor' tab some 2 established connections with the same remote IP: 127.0.0.1, while the remote hostname is obviously localhost. The beef is that whenever I see this on any of my surfing comps (all WinXP boxes) the access speed for that comp goes way down. When I kill the lower 'localhost' connection listed (they always come in pairs) the net behaves again. If I try to kill the upper-listed connection, nothing happens.

Second (smaller) issue is that i'm trying to get any software that blocks outgoing connections from trojans or something like that as well - since WinXP only blocks incoming (i think). Which is the best?

Any help for these two problems? :'( I'd be xtremely grateful!!

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

The internet connection speed depends on the network conditions and traffic load. What is the localhost connection that you kill? The localhost connection should be 127.0.0.1, which is the computer itself. Since your ISP says that they don't see anything wrong, it's gotta be something in your computer that's causing the problem. Can you first try scanning your computer for spyware? Use spybot S&D and ad-aware SE.
    A slow internet connection can be caused by many factors, spyware usually infects lots of computers and slows the internet connection speed down.

The Windows XP firewall does not block outgoing connections.

If you want any software that blocks outgoing connections as well, just do a google search for firewalls, there're a lot of firewalls available that can block outgoing connections.
    If you're not sure what I mean by spyware, just click on my signature at the very bottom of the message. Useful info provided.

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

4. nyang_haggai

nyang_haggai Registered Member

what do u guys have to say about BOClean? how does it rate against the other spyware scanners (such as SpyBot)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.