PSU question?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rico, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

I have a Lenovo K320 desktop, it has a 280W PSU, "AcBel"

I want to put in a replacement GPU GT 330, install a EVGA 1050 Ti, from NVIDIA card 75W, & recommend 300W.

The machine will have NO monitor, mouse, keyboard, 0 apps will be run. It will run a distributed computing project 24/7.

I will put in stronger fans.

Also this machine is from 2008, & Lenovo says "NO" BIOS updates are available, this may be a factor for the 1050 ti, anyway to update the bios if it becomes a problem?

2. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

If you are running a small server. I would recommend 450W PSU.

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Getting the 1050ti cables to adapt to your motherboard may be challenging, do you already know if there is room in the case for it? 300 watts is pushing it, consider going to 400 watts minimum with a bronze rating or better--what if you want to change the scenario you described at a later time? There apparently haven't been any BIOS updates for your machine model in literally years but you can double check via Lenovo's updater software if you want.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht080136

Just for info, here's a thread regarding a much less powerful GPU.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ow-to-see-if-its-compatible/m-p/2106386#M9527

For a 300 watt power supply, you want to have min. 75 watt buffer. So, you ideally have only around 225 watts. You have to consider everything big and small--the draw of the upgraded fans, the fan(s) on the ti which can be one or two depending on spec, CPU draw, etc and then factor in the wattage buffer. Case airflow is critical as well--those GPUs are relatively big. If this is going to be a production machine, the last thing you need is abrupt shutdowns/reboots due to overheating and/or power supply issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2016
  4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Why are you wasting so much money and power supply energy on such a powerful graphics card that will not be connected to any monitor? That makes no sense at all!

With no monitor, your current supply is just fine. Increasing your air flow through the case is a good idea, other than that, you are good to go. If you need a new graphics card, get something cheap. To once and awhile hook up a monitor to check status, a simple $20 card is just fine.

5. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

This is a great point--a big beautiful GPU like that begs for a monitor, what a waste! So...if you decide to plug in the peripherals, even temporarily, will that push things over the edge with 300 watts? Hence my earlier caveat about changing scenarios. Plus, consider that Lenovo didn't engineer this older desktop with this type of GPU in mind so even if OP is successful in installing it AND the BIOS is able to see it, overheating remains an issue. Perhaps a hand held temperature probe can be considered since no temp software would be feasible. Just as a rough comparison: my Y series has a modest MSI 960 GTX which runs 2/3 length of case, the rest taken up neatly with the drive caddy. I frequently have to run machine with side panel off a lot due to excessive hot air.

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Bill, I was hoping to get your imput. Thank You! This brings a bigger conundrum, now thinking (((maybe Gigabyte GTX 1070))).

To answer your question this rig will join two other machines in a folding project, to help cure disease.

See: http://folding.stanford.edu/home/

Machine #1 has a GTX 1060 & GTX 960
    Machine #2 has a GTX 750 Ti (unfortunately it's a 32bit machine)

Stanford gives projects, to those on it's network, Folding or the number crunching from the assigned project, goes very slowly, if your only using a CPU (laptop, or cpu w/ integrated video). If you can crunch the numbers more quickly, a cure can be found sooner! Folding goes, very fast, & goes even more quickly with a GPU, depending upon the strength, of the GPU. The only relevant part to Folding, is CUDA or Shraders.

GTX1050 Ti 768 CUDA

GTX1070 1200 CUDA

Please watch two min video: https://youtu.be/7sJx9z1uB9k

This is a 'distributed computing project', quite a few people, have spent $ 6 figures, contributing, not to mention, the big utility bill!

Note I clean machines for a large computer club (senior citizens), & often get, free older machines, this Lenovo K320, I traded a laptop, which I removed the malware from & traded it for the K320 desktop, with the intent of putting in the powerful GPU & not attaching a monitor.

Question about PSU & GTX1070, this requires min 500W PSU, would require change from 280W - to >500W. I'm not sure if the 280W from Lenovo is 'proprietary' or an odd duck. It's mmfg is AcBel

280W measures 5 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 6"

Oriented in the case pic #1
    I believe this is an "ATX" main plug PSU to MB, 1k320.jpg 2kb320.jpg

I guess this is 24pin, would a replacement PSU wires, be in the right placeo_O? Any suggestions for replacement PSU >500Wo_Oo_O

Also just below is the case fan, it's not screwed in, use rubber protrusions, do you just cut the rubber for removalo_O?

Not sure if this has any bearing, or special wires, for it from the plug, front of PC has a user selectable "switch" Turbo/Auto/Cool, I would want TURBO only, or sacrifice AUTO & COOL if necessary.

DIY for an all thumbs newb. & training wheels.

Thanks & Merry Christmas
    Rico

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Okay I understand. Yes, some distributing computing projects do use GPU horsepower for crunching too.

I recommend you visit the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator and plug in your hardware and see what is suggested. Bump up CPU Utilization to 100% and Computer Utilization to 24/7 to add enough headroom so your PSU is not running near capacity the full time. Running near capacity is not a problem with a quality supply but it will likely cause the supply's fan to run at or near full speed (and noise levels) most of the time.

I recommend at least a 80 PLUS "Gold" supply. "Gold" ensures at least 87% efficiency (90% at 50% load) and since this system will be maxed out most of the that, the extra cost of a Gold certified supply will be returned in energy savings. 80 PLUS certified supplies tend to be most efficient when running at 50% load so using the calculator results should tell you what size supply to get.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.