Pseudo XP desktop?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

My son has just upgraded from 2000 to XP at the cost of a fair few English Quids, a little Sweat, and a number of problems, but he now has it going like a sewing machine.

What I would like to know is can I make my desktop (I'm on Win 98se) look like XP? Without nackering anything and be able to go back to my own D/T again?

My son is a IT. Graduate, I know nothing, but the next time he visits I would love to fool him into thinking I had XP.

My intention would be to tell him that I downloaded it from the Net for 'Free' and that I couldn't understand why he had so much trouble with his. :D

Regards. Cochise. :cool:

2. pin

pin Registered Member

try searching google for "shell replacements". that's what you're looking for. in my experience though, replacing the shell is more trouble than it's worth!

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thank you Pin,

It doesn't sound as tho' the joke is worth the trouble eh?.

Well it was worth a try and believe me it would have been a real 'Gotcha'.

Regards, Cochise. :cool:

4. pin

pin Registered Member

what you could do is take a snapshot of an xp desktop, and then set it as your wallpaper! all you'd have to do then is hide your taskbar and to someone just taking a quick look it'll seem like you have xp running..until they try to click on something ;).

5. MegaHertz

MegaHertz Registered Member

Cochise,

Windows Blinds would allow you achieve the WinXP look, with out replacing the explorer shell. Just don't let your son go digging around since it would only take a matter of seconds for him to call your bluff (the start menu would be a dead give away).

6. BWMerlin

BWMerlin Registered Member

My XP system looks like my ME and 98 ones becuase i turned off most of the nice looking stuff to save resourses. U could tell him the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.