Proxy Tests

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by soulfood, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soulfood

soulfood Registered Member

I'm trying a trial version of ProxySwitcher which allows you to use proxies identified as providing 'basic anonymity', among others. A test of number of these proxies in different countries revealed the client host ip, i.e. my true ip address; one proxie from China I tested was the exception. This raised the following question for me: can any website you visit determine your true ip or the client host ip in spite of proxies? If so, how easy is it? (Note: I assumed it is not easy otherwise what purpose would proxies really serve?)

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Yes, there are several ways. These free proxies are many times not configured properly, there's Java considerations, etc. Simply search this forum for info on proxies and there are dozens and dozens of threads. Free proxies, by the way, are often honeypots setup to grab your data. They are unaccountable and should be used with caution.

3. soulfood

soulfood Registered Member

Thank you, Gerard. I stumbled upon one of the threads you alluded to, the one about Java. I've since discovered that ProxySwitcher's 'basic anonymity' proxies include your ip address in the extra headers though it would not, supposedly, show up in the web server's log. Fortunately they have more secure proxies that are available when you purchase their service. But as you suggest there are other ways a cyber adversary can skin a cat.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.