Proxy and checking for updates

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Jason, Nov 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Guest

Any way to update spywareblaster behind a proxy, that reguires an username and password, can't really see hiows thats possibles, since thier are no options
    any chance the next version would have this??

Jason

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I'll work on this - with any luck I'll have a solution soon. :)

Currently, the latest definitions update is located here: http://www.wilders.org/HTMLobj-1505/

Just download the file to the folder where you installed SpywareBlaster (overwrite the old version).

I'll add a link to the newest definitions database on the webpage, so you can have a manual method of updating until I have a fix for your problem.

Regards,

-Javacool

3. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

Browser Path Config...

:) Hi All...and thanks to Javacool for another well-thought-out app;

This seemed a good thread in which to request the ability to set a path to the browser for updates;

I assume that SpywareBlaster is coded to use the ' system default browser' to find updates? I assume that since I get a 'server error' message and see only a local UDP activity by SpywareBlaster?

My set-up is a bit different than most - Windows tells the world that IE is my 'default browser', but IE is sandbagged and neutered. I use Opera associated with all internet file associations, url http ftp etc etc and it works just fine as my 'default' including opening all links and even Windows Favorites (because they are associated with url).

Anyway, I have caught many secret 'phone home' apps that try to access IE to get out, only to be foiled by this simple step.

The problem is that some simple apps (without a config for browser path) also get caught. I'm happy with a manual upgrade, but it would be nice to config right.

Thanks again

dmc

4. javacool

Re:Browser Path Config...

SpywareBlaster uses the Microsoft Internet Transfer control (MSINET.OCX) to download the update file (not any browser on your system). It tries to connect to download http://www.wilderssecurity.com/spyblasterversion.txt

From this file it gets the necessary data, compares versions, etc, and determines if and what updates you need.

Could you be more specific as to the exact error message you receive? (A screenshot, if possible, would be greatly appreciated.) It is possible whatever method you are using to sandbag your system is conflicting with SpywareBlaster's use of the Internet Transfer Control.

Best regards,

-Javacool

P.S. The version of MSINET.OCX included with the SpywareBlaster installer (and only installed if no previous version is present) is 6.0.88.62.

5. deadmanschest

MSINET.OCX and such...

:) Hi Javacool - thx for the lightning fast response...

My post is a result of a nOOb (me) assuming I know something...when I have not got a clue....

I have MSINET.OCX version 6.0.88.62 in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msinet.ocx and I am running WinME.

I took a screen shot, unfortunately I don't know how to 'attach' a .jpg or .png to this post - I am guessing that I must upload the image to a .url and then 'attach' a link? Beyond me at this point. I can tell you that the Error was a SpywareBlaster window saying:

"There was an error getting the update information from the server".

I run Kerio 2.1.3 (and Proxo) and have very strict rules on all Windows apps, from System to any other MS products.

I don't know where to start to figure what rule set, if any, may be interfering with the Update? I didn't get any request from Kerio to Permit, therefore there must already be a rule that Denies......

IE is totally blocked as is Windows Exploder. RPCSS.EXE is blocked, System is allowed DNS access, and I think thats it..
    So anything connected to Windows is not supposed to get out......

I gave both SpywareBlaster.exe and updaterup.exe access out at Kerio and no joy. Maybe I should have restarted Kerio and/ or SpywareBlaster.....I could give System access out to the update site and to Port 80. I would need to know what the path or the executable is that is using the MSINET.OCX

I am really curious now. But Please don't feel you need to spend time on this - I don't use IE and I don't have any BHO or much in the way of Active X as far as I know - haha. I do believe that some of my apps (FoxMail for eg.) probably do use the IE engine, .......here I am trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about again....haha

Thanks again..

dmc :)

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re:MSINET.OCX and such...

Hi dmc,

FYI - Below is an overview of how you attach a screen shot image to posts here at Wilders. The best type of image files to post are .GIF files, second best is .JPG and, of course, we prefer to never see .BMP files given how big they can get. ;)

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

Attached Files:

7. deadmanschest

The Missing Image Files.....

:) Hi Low Water Mark.....hi lo hi lo....haha

Thanks for the image tip -The key was the following;

"Note: You will not be able to "Preview" an attached image, it will only be sent when you press the Post button. If you use Preview after attaching a file, it may remove that file selection from the Attach line."

I had tried a few times to get it to work with no joy..the file path would be continually removed from the attach dialoque....Lets give it a try, for the error message on SpywareBlaster update.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

8. deadmanschest

Worked like a Charm....

Wow - that worked great! Thanks again for the tip - the format of that screen shot is .png and I took it with a freeware screen capture called MWSnap.

I think I have the link http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/index.html

Thanks again for the info

:) dmc

9. javacool

Well, it certainly isn't able to connect out to grab the file.

updatersup.exe doesn't need internet access rights - it would be used to install a program update if one were available

Could you try running SpywareBlaster with Kerio disabled? (If you don't mind doing such a thing.) If it works, we could look at the possibility of a conflict with another one of your firewall rules.

spywareblaster.exe is the file using MSINET.OCX :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. deadmanschest

Gotta love Windoze

:) Hi javacool - thx for the suggestions....but no joy.

Unfortunately I have been moving the goalposts a bit - I got pissed off at Windoze Update, finally had enough and am now IERadicated.......Yippeee........

Unfortunately, while my machine is flying now, IERadicate has had the result of breaking some apps - believe it or not the Password Manager that I've been using (Access Manager) is f**ked as a result.

To their credit they have been trying to help, but a waste of time - Why am I using a security program that needs Windows DMAC access components? Damned if I know. I have installed PINS 420 and will now have to try and recreate 100 plus entries....

I have disable Kerio and no joy, but I did get a New Error message I will attach below. I dl'd your suggestion for MSOCTML.OCX or whatever, but no luck either.

I would like to wait a couple days before trying again - I don't want to piss you guys off, and I have to try and fix the few other apps that have bombed as a result of FREEING MYSELF from IE.....IERadicator2001 worked like a damn... but appps that rely on these MS files or 'security components' or whatever the f**k MS calls them seem to be having hiccups.

Summary - I am changing a bunch of things, and I feel bad that I may have broken SpywareBlaster Update, but I have given the boot to that bloated fat pig IE and I feel good about that. If I can find a way to reinstall MDAC (oh ya , thats another good one) I will also post the screen shot belowl

Thanks. Give me a day or two to sort this issue out.

Attached Files:

11. deadmanschest

Windoze - whats up with that....

:) Sheesh - At that error message I dl'd and reinstalled that MSCTML.OCX whatever and still get the error. I don't care, but I have a better one.

Trying to fix my Access Manager I dl'd and tried to install MDAC2.5 SP 1, apparently I have MDAC 2.5 installed, and it was suggested that I install MDAC SP1 - seems sensible....

The screen shot is attached....haha

I throw up my hands, gotta find those Mandrake discs...

Thanks again..dmc

Attached Files:

12. javacool

Re:Windoze - whats up with that....

Well, you're just not having the best of luck with that system, are you. :rolleyes:

As to the one error you are receiving - try getting the version of that file posted in this thread (if that wasn't the one you had tried already):

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5169

It should make SpywareBlaster work again (even if you still haven't got the updater to work yet).

Best regards,

-Javacool

13. deadmanschest

Yah, but I'm IERadicated...hehe

:) Thanks Javacool;

Actually, my WinMe is absolutely flying, can't believe how quick and crisp, especially the desktop....hehe

Couple of odditys, but don't feel bad for me, this is great....

I am going to compile a list of apps that appear to be f**ked by running IERadicator...2-3 so far..

One question - do I need to have MS DCOM enabled in the registry in order for SpywareBlaster update to work?

I don't know what DCOM is, but its turned off, and affects nothing on my system that I am aware off.

(I tried the MSOCTML.OCX again, and same error as before).

Ciao

14. javacool

Re:Yah, but I'm IERadicated...hehe

Could you try renaming the current MSCOMCTL.OCX in your Windows/System directory to MSCOMCTL.XXX (or something similar - you can also delete it if you are confident) and then try to install the version I mentioned again?

If you still get this error, could you then check the version number of the MSCOMCTL.OCX located on your system and post it?

TIA. :)

-Javacool

15. deadmanschest

Take you away from the contest...

:) as in " I don't want to take you away from the [graphic] contest"....

Quick note; existing version of MSCOMCTL.OCX was 6.0.88.62, as was MSINET.OCX; I renamed .xxx and reinstalled from the Wilders thread link, and got same verison and size file, version et al.....No luck.

However, perhaps this is important - there is no application registered to format ".ocx", the 'properties tab says 'opens with unknown app' and if I go to
    Contol Panel>Folder Options > File Types > .ocx, its not there?

However, I do have $20 MM in an account in Lagos.....

16. javacool

Re:Take you away from the contest...

OCX files shouldn't be associated with anything. HOWEVER, I find it very interesting that .ocx is not located in the File Types area - it should be.

It sounds like this may have been caused by that IERadicator program you used.

Best regards,

-Javacool

17. deadmanschest

.OCX and WinRegistry -drag & drop

Hey Javacool;

I wondered if we should quit this thread, seems like I'm taking away from the original post re Proxies and wasting your time...don't refrain from telling me what the accepted protocol would be....... :)

Let me add on last thing that may be of interest to you.

.ocx is not associated with any application. It's not listed in ContrPanel>Folder Options>File Types, but then neither is .dll on my machine anyways...

I had an idea, in Windows Exploder went to C:/windows/system folder and dragged and dropped MSCOMCTL.OCX & MSINET.OCX over to REGSRV32.EXE.

I then got the Info Window that is attached below...

It did not fix the SpywareBlaster updater error, but may be of use to someone wanting to 'register' these files.

To sum up; 99% of apps are working flawlessly and fast with IEradiicated.

There is a major problem with AnalogX Dll Archive, I will find a proper forum to note that, it wants to archive 1000 dll, as a result nothing works, but its easy to retrieve and restore any desired dll..

To sum up again - many thanks for your time and efforts, no need to Reply unless there is something you see that is of use to the wider community, or something to clarify...

Thanks again

Attached Files:

18. deadmanschest

Just Windows again....

Hi Javaccol; Maybe almost a penultimate 'last post';
    Nah. turns out just to be Windows.

Under Control Panel>Folder Options> File Types> .ocx and .dll - no entries at all;

However RegClean (from jv16.org) shows them both registered on my system.

Somehow I expect Journi Vuorio to be more correct than Windows Exploder....

No need for a Reply. Thx again.

19. deadmanschest

SpyWareBlaster, Updater, IERadicator

:) Hi all;

Just to add a postscript to this [old] thread....

The gist of it was that SpywareBlaster v2.0 Updater was choking on my WinME system with IERadicated by the use of IE Radicator 2001....

I am pleased to report to javacool that the current version v2.0.2 with integrated Updater works flawlessly with my system with IE radicated.

LOL, since I have IE Radicated, I don't really need much of what SpyWareBlaster offers, but its a fine tool and I am pleased to have one or two click update available anyway.

Thanks javacool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.