Proxomitron Spyware?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Benjami222, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjami222

Benjami222 Registered Member

Hi all!
    Just started using Port Explorer and found that its shows Proxomitron vers.4.5 as hidden. Does this mean that my Proxo version is somehow defective or infected and acting as back door agent?

I recently had some Trojans bu I beleive I was able to get rid of them.

Using WinXP SP2 and F_Secure Internet secure2004 as firewall and virus
    protection.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi,
    No, I think you will find that if you open the Proximitron GUI that you will not see the Prox as red but black if you are using the default colour scheme.

HTH Pilli

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

I'm assuming you mean that the Proxomitron process was shown in a red color. All this indicates is that it isn't visible on-screen. Essentially all trojans will show up as red, but legitimate processes can of course run without any visible windows, so red isn't an indication a guarantee that the process is a trojan, but it IS an indication that the process isn't visible, so if you're not sure what the process is then you should investigate it, because you may have a trojan. In this case you know that Proxomitron is a legitimate process, but Port Explorer is just making sure that you're aware that it's running hidden - better to be safe than sorry and infected.

Best regards,
    Wayne

4. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

There are no malwares known to specifically infect Proxomitron. And it was never bundled or contained any spyware: it was produced by a person who was very commited in fighting the malwares.
    -hojtsy-

5. S!x

S!x Registered Member

Who foots the bandwidth bill for all this routing and re-routing of traffic done by Proxomitron? ... it has to use nodes, switches, routers, and bandwidth that isn't paid for or owned by the user or the program. Even Anonymous Proxy's are still owned by somebody.

This is why GhostSurf basically bit the dust ... ISP's were wanting money from Tenebril for using their bandwidth ... they tried to keep it going by using centrally located servers (owned by Tenebril) and using a EULA stating if the police or your ISP need your IP , then Tenebril (Ghostsurf) will have to give it to them.

which defeats the reason for using it ... (not the police part) :D
    if all of your surfing information and credit card numbers and passwords are collected by Tenebril, then it's not really anonymous surfing anymore and then can be termed as spyware..

How does Proxomitron get around this? ... do they have their own servers? ... different technology?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  6. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Proxomitron is only a local proxy (ie. it resides on your machine). It is not a remote proxy which you refer to.

In effect, Proxomitron is a piece of software which you install on your local machine. This piece of software then filters all HTTP (and HTTPS if you require) traffic between your browser and the Internet. This allows it to filter out adverts amongst other things.

Check out http://www.proxomitron.info/ for more info.

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Benjami222, Did our suggestions help? Are you now seeing the Proximitron in black when it's GUI is open?

Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.