Proxomitron questions

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Gnostic, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

I'm trying out proxo and have a couple of questions. First, will I get decent privacy protection using it "out of the box"? Are the many different configurations I see on the net necessary or do they just add more layers of security? And finally, in ZoneAlarm, do I need to set proxo up as a local server or internet server? I'm thinking local, but am not sure.

Ok, more than a couple of questions :D

2. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

I don't remember how to answer the firewall question, but I can tell you right out the box Proxo will do plenty for you. And if it doesn't, you just play with the config until it does what you want.

3. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Thanks for the input Mike. I thought about the fire wall, I figured it wouldn't be too smart to proxo be an internet server, so set it up as a local server. Is that right?--anyone??

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Gnostic, if you allow Proxo to be an internet server, it becomes visible to the world. You don't want that. The real expert around here is Zhen-Xjel (not so much a name, more of a high score in Scrabble) and he has a forum devoted to Proxo, moderated by its author, here. Lots of filters to download and merge in!

HTH

5. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

Out of the box? So-so... I used to update my filter set (ZXList) which had at one point in time been the most private filters. I've been busy with Computer Cops, so ZXList has virtually all but died. However, others have taken up the torch and can be found at the Proxo forum at my site.

6. Proxo Man

Proxo Man Guest

I have browsed this forum along with Computer Cops and others concerning Proxomitron. I'm like Zhen-Xjell because out of the box it was only ok. I sent luv2bsecure an email about proxo and he sent me a couple of his personal configs and I use them all the time. There are things he did that I would have never thought of. I couldn't browse without it now. I used to be very scared of it for some reason. It seemed way over my head. Once you figure out how to use the diferent configurations and tweak it I can say it becomes addictive in always lloking for new tweaks. That's why I came back here to Wilders to see what was new on the proxo front. Zhens forum on proxo is very good if you want some really good info. I know luv2besecure is big on it too. I haven't seen him post much lately though.
    have fun :D

7. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Well, I have since found out "Proxo Man" is actually a female and one I know through email. Melissa, here I am posting right next to you! I was gone for quite awhile though. It feels good to be back. You are right, I am still using Proxo and still doing fine with the configs I sent you. I may have added some little things here and there, but it's still basically what Tracy sent you. What a great program!

John
    Luv2BSecure

8. JD5000

JD5000 Guest

Hiya luv2bsecure,

Would ya mind emailing your filters to me also? I'm always looking for new filters to add to my config. :D

~JD

JD5000@toughguy.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.