ProtonMail, End-to-End Encrypted Email, introduces 1GB storage for all free encrypted email accounts

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by KevinProtonMail, May 18, 2015.

1. KevinProtonMail

KevinProtonMail Registered Member

Hello Wilderians!

I wanted to say hello from ProtonMail! We are a Switzerland-based zero access, end-to-end encrypted email service with a commitment to protecting the online privacy of everyone. We utilize an easy to use 2-password system to ensure that our users' encrypted email is only accessible to them, and no one else, not even us!

We celebrated one year since our launch earlier this weekend and we decided to make a big change to ProtonMail to thank all of our supporters and early adopters: All free encrypted email accounts have been upgraded to 1GB!

You can read more about it here on our blog: https://blog.protonmail.ch/were-upgrading-all-protonmail-accounts-to-1gb-of-storage/

Feel free to post any questions or discussion you'd like to have about ProtonMail below! I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Best Regards,
    Kevin
    ProtonMail
    https://protonmail.ch/

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

@KevinProtonMail, thanks for the update and good news with the funding.

I saw that two-factor authentication had got some kind of go-ahead, do you have any further details on what is being planned? I saw mention of Yubikey (which I already use), so it'd be great if it included these.

3. KevinProtonMail

KevinProtonMail Registered Member

Yes, we are looking forward to supporting two-factor authentification. We plan on implementing 2FA sometime later this year, YubiKey is something we may look into. At the moment, we are working hard to improve the productivity and usability design aspects of ProtonMail to accelerate our progress out of beta. We are close to the final stages of testing with the ProtonMail iOS app and we should be ready for release on the App store soon. The Android app is also in development and should be ready soon after the iOS app is.

4. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

@KevinProtonMail
    I would like to try protonmail but your site says there is a waiting list for accounts is that likely to change any time soon ?

5. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

could i access ProtonMail from Thunderbird or would that negate any benefits?

(i dont really want to go to email website in my browser all the time)

also for the blog link my old Opera 12 is saying certificate chain is incomplete

edit: same thing for the main site :(

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

7. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

So far, ProtonMail has been working great for me.

@KevinProtonMail , Excellent e-mail service.

8. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

I second that! Thanks for your work! It's been almost a year now and a lot has been done. Keep it up!
    What's keeping me from using Protonmail as my main mail service is not being able to use it with a mail client like Thunderbird.

Will it be possible some time in the future?

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

ProtonMail is now open to all :)

... until they max out, anyway ;)

10. RockLobster

The trouble is protonmail is web only access. Does anyone really trust web browsers that much ? I don't see the logic in implementing a secure email service as web mail.
    Pop3 access means we could use open source email clients designed for just email. This means no ads, no unsafe html, no unsafe java script, no tracking cookies no flash plugins no browser caches and aside from all that, pop3 is lightning fast by comparison and can be set up to check for new messages periodically. Who wants to log into their email manually via their browser every 30 minutes to see if a new mail showed up ?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  11. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

I agree with your points regarding webmail. I cannot access Protonmail via Firefox because of my browser security setup. I forgot which configuration in „about:config“ is responsible. But I don't want to change it. In Qubes it is easy to use a lot of different browser setups but I don't use a lot of Vms in other distros. At the moment I use Chromium to access Protonmail instead. Not an ideal situation.
    You don't need to check your emails manually if a new mail arrived. You can enable the email notification and use an address that works with your mail client. You'll be notified when a new mail has arrived. Your protonmail address is being obfuscated. Only the first letter is shown. The message comes from notify(at)protonmail.ch

12. RockLobster

Oh I see, I didn't know about the notification, but still, my real concern was with the general lack of security associated with web browsers. I prefer to use an email client.

13. RockLobster

Has anyone noticed the similarity between the protonmail website and the tutanota website ? Both using similar layouts, both with a page introducing their team, almost identical feedback comments system, both web based email and neither of them making any effort to implement pop3 even though there are many requests for it. Makes me wonder...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  14. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

On the other hand, their GUI's are substantially different. PM's being by far the more polished and professional looking.

15. RockLobster

Well I could be wrong I have no proof they are related, I sensed the similarities while browsing their sites and reading their clients questions and the admin's answers to them and of course it is prudent to be suspicious of anyone offering secure services these days.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  16. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Tutanota allowed me to make an account whereas PM did not because my browser was deemed out of date, which wasn't that old at the time my invite came in. Needless to say I didn't register.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.