Proton Mail Android App

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by RockLobster, Aug 3, 2017.

1. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I installed Proton Mail's android app on my phone. I let it run for a month without entering any account details and monitored it's activity.
    As you might expect, the app maintained a connection to protonmail.ch in Switzerland, but it also made periodic connections to an Amazon cloud computing server in the US.
    I thought that to be somewhat suspicious but you might at a stretch, give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe it is just usage statistics.

So after the month was up yesterday, I entered my username and password into the app for the first time to log in to my Proton Mail account.
    **** **** was all I could say as the protonmail app lit up my connection monitoring software with SEVENTEEN SIMULTANIOUS CONNECTIONS TO THIRD PARTY SERVERS. That activity increased to over 20 connections in the following 30 minutes of so.
    That is not even funny. There are a lot of people trusting Proton Mail with their privacy and security.
    In my opinion this is a serious breach of trust not just for the fact it contacted third party servers, but that it increased that activity ten fold only AFTER I entered my account information.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.