Protocol filtering settings

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by siljaline, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Windows XP Pro SP3 Fully Patched | Browser Internet Explorer 8 | Spyware Blaster | MVPS Hosts | Services Tweaked for Optimal Performance |

I would be curious to know how many of you running the 4.2.4 build run protocol filtering as per attached screenshots.

Attached Files:

2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

interesting, no such options on WIN 7 64bit with NOD 64 bit 4.2.40! Why would that be, Eset please?

26-05-2010 08-13-21.png

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I have it disabled

4. Waterfox

Waterfox Registered Member

Because it only refers to Windows XP users, here's an explanation from ESET's kb:
    The Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) is new with Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and later and with Windows Server 2008. The WFP architecture is used to check network communication and since it uses special monitoring techniques, the Web browsers and Protocol Filtering sections are not available.

This is from knowledgebase article found here

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's due to WFP used for filtering on Windows Vista SP1 and newer. On older systems, it was not desired to filter the http/pop3 communication for all applications, especially when a 3rd party firewall not supporting local proxies was used. With WFP, these settings have no real use, hence they are not available.

6. siljaline

So, you take curtain number one Cudni ?

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Randy,

My setting on XP-home SP3, IE6 :

NOD32_2010_05_26_2.gif

8. siljaline

Cheers, Jan thanks for the feedback :thumb:
    It would seem that protocol filtering as per screenshot # 1 above, works better in my case. adjusted this way provides are more stable high speed DSL connection, without disruptons.

9. siljaline

Not quite following Cudni, it is not possible to disable this feature, unless I am missing something.
    What is your OS ?

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Randy,

Lately I am seeing "slowing-downs" (I don't know the right English word) when accessing web-sites, in particular the Wilders board!!!
    I might have to adjust my settings like you did.

11. siljaline

Hi Jan :thumb:
    I generally run protocol filtering as per screenshots in the preceeding ESET KB and as cited in this thread. It provides better and more consistent Internet Connectivity.

12. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Randy,
    I have it now also set up like you, the second option (Applications marked as, etc).
    Whether it was that, or something at my provider, or at the server, or something else on my system, anyhow: nomore those slowing-downs here at the board :) *puppy*

13. siljaline

Good to know that this setting works for you, Jan :thumb: Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated.

Greetz,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.