Protection while updating?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I recall that Bit Defender used to shutdown for a few seconds when updating and installing the update.

I was just wondering if one is protected when his AV, not BD, is updating and installing the updates. Is it correct that the shields are still running and effective?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Would assume that it is like AntiVir in that respect.

Open TaskManager and highlight AvGuard.exe (or BitDefender's access protection) and you will see that during the Updater's "Stop Applications.." that AvGuard remains on the job throughout the process and provides full protection.

An Update during a System Scan will not work.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many thanks, Pilotart. That is very helpful, and I would not have known to look at TM.
    Regards,
    Jerry

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it works because the only thing shuting down is the gui the kernel protection is always active

lodore

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    BTW, you are not really going to give up FS are you? Have you tried the suite of Avira? Hope it runs well for you.

After the FS subscription runs out, I am going to try Avira again. Maybe the problems I had will be worked out. It sure seems like a great AV. I probably wouldn't buy the suite, although the beta I tried ran well in general, and the firewall did not cause me problems.

Best,
    Jerry

6. doctor IT

doctor IT Registered Member

BitDefender 10 doesn't stop - from now on - the GUI process. This thing happens only after program components updates/upgrades, which also require a computer restart.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

and yes i am gonna give up on f-secure because i can get the same protection from lighter software. starting with antivir suite.
    most av's are alot more customizable than f-secure. that and the heavyness is the things that i dont like about ti other wise it works.

8. doctor IT

doctor IT Registered Member

Good decision! I installed F-Secure about 3 days ago. I restarted my PC and guess what? :) After Windows finished to load, I had a BlueScreenOfDead in the next second. I tried to uninstall the AV in SafeMode, but then it started cmd.exe for 2 seconds and that was all. And yes, Avira AntiVir is one of the best AntiVirus (I haven't tested the whole suite yet ) :rolleyes:

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have always seemed to have blue screens of death with spysweeper but didnt really think f-secure caused any.

about five minutes ago i got a blue screen probably because of f-secure since its my only active protection.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Unlike some folks I really like FS AV. I have not tried the suite. I find the 2007 runs some better than the 2006, especially in the updates. It does take a minute longer than Avira or KAV to open at start-up, but that does not bother me.

I have several anti-malware applications that check for updates at start and I just wait a couple of minutes before I open a browser. It never takes 2 minutes, and that does not seem to be too slow for me.

No doubt that Avira is snappier than any I tried. I will try it again someday, but for now I am happy with the free F-Secure AV. I think the subscription runs out in July 2007. It does run trouble free for me, and as I have previously stated it only Avast was as simple, and install and forget. NOD and KAV are close behind in being trouble free for me, however.

Best,
    Jerry

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

suite. I find the 2007 runs some better than the 2006, especially in the updates. It does take a minute longer than Avira or KAV to open at start-up, but that does not bother me.

I have several anti-malware applications that check for updates at start and I just wait a couple of minutes before I open a browser. It never takes 2 minutes, and that does not seem to be too slow for me.

No doubt that Avira is snappier than any I tried. I will try it again someday,
    but for now I am happy with the free F-Secure AV. I think the subscription runs out in July 2007. It does run trouble free for me, and as I have previously stated it only Avast was as simple, and install and forget. NOD and KAV are close behind in being trouble free for me, however.

Best,

Jerry[/QUOTE]

I find that f-secure does slow down my pc while running i never noticed it when my pc was new but i have noticed it for a while now. during playing the Sims 2 which i haven't done for a while because it sometimes slows down to much. plus I get home late from college most days.
    getting my dad to allow me to get rid of f-secure is like talking to a brick wall.
    he thinks that the f-secure install of 2007 version went fine but didnt, I had to end the install process in task manager and reboot about 3 times to install it. how the hell do you convince someone to get rid of f-secure?
    How do I prove to my dad that antivir has a very high detection rate and wont crash the computer because its very stable and light.
    I wish i had a laptop then I could install what ever i wanted on it but i dont so thats why im asking the questions above.
    Thanks in advance
    lodore

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,
    {getting my dad to allow me to get rid of f-secure is like talking to a brick wall.
    he thinks that the f-secure install of 2007 version went fine but didnt, I had to end the install process in task manager and reboot about 3 times to install it. how the hell do you convince someone to get rid of f-secure?
    How do I prove to my dad that antivir has a very high detection rate and wont crash the computer because its very stable and light.
    I wish i had a laptop then I could install what ever i wanted on it but i dont so thats why im asking the questions above.}

If he does not accept tests such as IBKs then I don't have a clue as to how to convince him without a trial. Evidently he does not want to do that. However, if you have not tried Avira on that computer, it might not work well. As light as it is, and as good as it is, it did not run as well as F-Secure on my laptop.
    Have you tried Avira on his machine?

Why don't you just buy a laptop, put Avira on it, challenge him to a time trial, and that will show him. :D :D :D

Hang in there, and as long as he does not get infected it will all be OK. Evidently he is like me, and another minute or two does not bother him.

Best,
    Jerry

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks jerry I will show my dad IBK's tests

I have tryed antivir premium on my old windows me pc and it worked perfectly and no problems.

also there is the fact its on my sisters laptop she uses at university and it works perfectly on that as well

lodore

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,
    I wish you success. If it runs well he will really like it. As I have said, I liked it, and sooner or later will trial it again. I think the Classic would suit me on the laptop.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.