protection of windows system files

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by gambla, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Hi,
    just having some trouble with window's sfc, so i wondered which security app is protecting windows system files ?

thanks guys

2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

What trouble are you specifically having with sfc?

3. arran

arran Registered Member

MD's file and folder rules.

4. gambla

gambla Registered Member

@:stackz:

1) sfc.exe doesn't accept my Xp-recovery-cd, but i've already corrected the path in the registry. now i'm testing with a copy of the I386-folder on a HDD...
    2) there's another important path for the "servicepackfiles" in the registry but that folder doesn't exist at all in my windows-folder (and not somewhere else) ?

@arran:

thank you too, i'll have a look at this app

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

She doesn't accept it because your install disk and current svcpack don't match. With a retail copy you're OK, you can slipstream.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  6. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Thank you. Is there any other tool that does the same job ? arran mentioned "MD's file and folder rules" (i couldn't find that anywhre) that sounds like protecting files and folders. But is there any other app like "sfc" that at first checks/verifys the integrity of window's system files ?

7. GlobalForce

Arran misunderstood. Long answer - NO. This or a clone is the guide you've referenced up above, correct? Again .. retail or OEM?

8. gambla

gambla Registered Member

GlobalForce, calm down, it wasn't my intention to ignore your post.
    I don't know if you call it OEM or retail, it's a "Fujitsu Siemens Product Recovery CD-Rom SP1a". Yes, the guide you linked to is the one i alrey went through.

Now, if i get your right, sfc.exe would need a slipstreamed Win XP SP3 cd to compare with system files ?

9. GlobalForce

To help you understand, look this over. When it involves a non-retail disk, she gets complicated. Me, I got lucky. Nonetheless, this is the route to take for a functioning file checker. Ready and willing to invest time I'd suggest you head over to the MSFN boards and ask about the possibility of using nLite. The Dell page may offer enough clues as to which files are kept and which get stripped. I'm guessing it'll depend on how the given manufacturer, Fujitsu Siemans, has'em packaged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.