Protecting Smart TV and Dvd

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by WilliamP, Oct 23, 2016.

1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have Att U verse phone and internet service. Also Direct TV service. With the recent attacks on the internet how can I keep someone from hi-lacking my smart devices.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Basically, you want IoT stuff on a LAN, with only needed ports forwarded to the Internet. But making that work with commercial Internet devices is not easy. There's no support for it.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I disable WiFi in my SONY smart TV when I don't need it connected.

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I'm segregating on the LAN side, both on wired LAN and wireless using a Tplink AP with VLAN support on 4 ssids.

All mobile phones and Iot wireless stuff goes via one of the VLAN ssids, which end up on a different network on a 4-port pfSense firewall router. Obviously the Iot only gets internet access, and does not get to see any of my real stuff.

Sadly, in order to maintain even a semblance of privacy and security, this kind of segregation is important given how careless the suppliers are with the configurations of the devices - firmware rarely updated even in the face of notorious vulnerabilities (e.g. webcams, Voip, etc). And for obvious reasons, I don't trust the spy-phones an inch.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

6. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Is that one of those TVs I have read about , that can interpret speech in the room as commands ?

That would really bring out the Luddite in me.
    My work-around would be to " install " a large nail ( one of those fat ones , for roofing ) in the center of the biggest chip on the network card.

Probably not much practical help to anyone reading but it is a sincere opinion .... and it's a dull day :)

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I think you are thinking of Samsung smart TVs. My SONY does not have a microphone, as far as I know anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.