Protecting my new PC ??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Stoney, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Registered Member

Before I bring my new PC on-line I want to make sure I have enough protection from as much intrusion as possible. I am not very computer literate but I do know that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

It is loaded with XP Home and Norton. Can I get some solid recommendations on additional software?

Is there a more appropriate forum location for this thread?

Thanks for any help you can give this newbie. :D

Stoney

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might get some good ideas from the post's at the link ;)

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5882

3. JayK

JayK Poster

He's probably get even more confused with the choices.

I would just recommend the main stuff, firewall (hardware/software), Antivirus, Spyware protection (probably slightly less important with browsers other than Internet explorer), harden OS with patches for starters.

The other exotic stuff like TDS's process guard, SSM can come later when understanding grows.

4. sig

sig Registered Member

First thing before putting a new pc online, if you're not behind a NAT router, make sure XP's firewall is enabled. Then you can go onlne and download MS updates and any other software you may want.

Many people have found that they've gotten infected by internet borne malware through open ports just by going online with a new XP PC without a firewall. So making sure XP's ICF is running is the first step before going online. Just search the XP Help file for "firewall" and instructions are available for enabling it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.