Protect your privacy by moving to the dark web

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Jan 8, 2017.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Is a vpn classified as dark web?
    Or is it i2p only?

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_web

If you are using VPN and Tor to visit "regular web" you're not on dark web. Most people will probably just use anonymization software but won't move to dark web.

4. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Ah dark web is a specific set of sites only viewable with i2p?

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes networks accessible using special software.

6. guest

guest Guest

The adresses typically end with .onion or .i2p
    .i2p
    = accessible with I2P
    .onion = accessible with TOR

7. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

The article was a little out of touch with what the dark web really is. The use of TOR as depicted in the article simply routes and conceals the original IP's from the "normal" websites a user visits. Don't get me wrong this is still far better than a raw ISP connection, but it stops well short of the DW. In the model I just described there are 3 relays used in a normal TOR circuit - AND - most importantly there IS an exit node into clearnet.

The Deep Web goes like this: 3 TOR relays are used for YOU to arrive at a rendezvous point - PLUS - 3 TOR relays are used by the deep web onion site to arrive at that same rendezvous point. Neither side of the transaction knows where the other party is located and in fact if done properly you don't even know where the onion site is. Its a very high tech model for a site to remain anonymously located, even when 3 letter places are looking, but it can and is done. Mistakes are costly, but preventable with good OPsec. Additionally, some of us augment even this design by chaining VPN's in front of the TOR circuits we use. I could mention names here but we know who we are. [wink]

One of the most significant differences in these two models is in the true DW model there is NO exit node for any leaks to occur!! The only common space between the two parties is handled at the rendezvous point and its not viewable on the net. That is huge and eliminates MITM, etc.....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  8. Socio

Socio Registered Member

This part is interesting:

I want one!

9. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I'll take the Android version. Can I pick my own color? LOL!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.