Prosecurity vs System safety monitor, your opinions?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by farmerlee, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Hey i'm considering getting one of the two however i'm unsure as to which one is the most secure, the most effective. I've tried both and they seem pretty similar. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. poirot

poirot Registered Member

A couple of weeks ago i was in the same situation you're now as i couldnt decide about the two: i solved running both,in two different computers.

Im talking about ProSecurity paid version and SSM Free edition,of course, as i think that in the realm of free (dom) SSM might be slightly preferable due to Registry protection and a few other characteristics.

I've just an average knowledge and i'm still studying and experimenting with both so i wont venture into tek judgements about the two.

PS seems a bit easier to understand and operate to me- somehow more 'logical' in its working,whereas its easy to provoke disasters with SSM due to the many possibilities it offers, although you could even use SSM like Dylanfan proposed in one thread here at Wilders as a set and forget impenetrable fortress by
    1-using Learning Mode (and a few days normal usage,too,i might add) to cover just everything in your pc
    2-Allow every process,applications etc.
    3-Disconnet User Interface
    you wont be prompted anymore and nothing not Allowed will ever run.

Obviously,like Herbalist:thumb: remarked, it's much better to see the prompts in SSM ,configure by giving the proper permissions and child-parent relationships,and be protected from new exploits, but its a good starting point.

When i 'found' Jetico 1.0 ,for instance, it seemed to me an unsourmountable mountain to understand its workings and i was many times tempted to give up ,but with Stem's :thumb: help i finally succeeded and now i'm happy i persisted in it,i run a very good firewall and i learned a lot in the process.
    I feel with SSM-if you want to use all of it- there's such a learning curve and it is a necessity not a surplus.
    (In my opinion,understanding Jetico was HARDER,though)

To sum it up: one or the other , you wont make a mistake, both are good.

Regards, poirot

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've had both and I prefer SSM just for the reasons mentioned. When I installed it, I used learning mode and spent a while starting everything I use most often. I then rebooted and the only popups I get now are from the few programs I didn't run in learning mode.

Either SSM or ProSecurity will get the job done for you, in my opinion. I'm far from being an expert, though. I run Sandboxie all the time, with Opera for my browser, SSM free, Avira antivirus, and have XPantispy installed and most Windows garbage turned off, like Windows Messaging which saves me from the popup spam that Opera might miss. That's all on this computer.

Combine the above with common sense and safe surfing and I feel very very secure.

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have tried both full versions and after umming and ahing came down on the side of SSM as to me it seemed a more informative interface and I took the full version since they were offering a competitive uggrade.

I have gone back to PS once or twice but cannot find it has any pluses over SSM. SSM also has the ability to protect my f/w and any other app from being terminated. They have also listened to feeback, mainly forcibly from Stem, to offer protection to the 3 critical processes in Win.

I think in PS protection is there automatically (except it did not work) whereas in SSM you have to gone and select your options.

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I'm running both on two different machines: SSM 2.2.0.600 & PS Free. I always have a question w/ SSM, but I feel it gives excellent protection. For a while I ran "learning mode" and did as advised. Now, since upgrading to 2.2.0.559 I no longer use "learning mode". It only took one day to configure the whole app / machine. --> Parent apps all (?) check off as I work during the day. I'm still full of questions, but I'm learning every day w/ the help of the sensi here at Wilders.

I used the trail of PS a while back and it seemed like a nice, easy app. It started crashing my box. By the time the developer had me up-n-running again I was fed up w/ it. But at the same time, simplicity is a beautiful thing. ProSecurity is simple. I decided to replace SSM Free on another box w/ PF Free and it's doing its job well.

My feelings are that both apps cover the bases. Perhaps SSM, more bases, but they are both very good.

The bottom line is: how much do you want to invest in your security.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'm not too worried about the cost if it going to help keep me safe, i'm really looking to try and cover as many bases as i can. I'll definitely be getting the paid version of one of them. I do have a habit of purchasing software without fully researching it and as a result i have licenses that i have no use for anymore, i'd rather not continue this money wasting trend. I'd rather make a good decision now and not have to change a few weeks down the track.
    Thanks for all the input guys!

7. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

i am kind of baiased, but i dont like ssm too much mainly because of the gui, and also because i have been with ProSecurity even during the initial planning and naming stages, and i know ProSecurity is going to be here for me, plus the developer of PS will always do his best to get any problem sorted. I have seen quite a few complaints about ssm, and also same goes for PS, but i feel PS is a nicer product and i like the fact that we as a people can have direct contact and influence the developement by defining bugs, compatability problems and giving him your comments.

ProSecurity gets my vote every time !

WG

8. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Actually, what I meant is "time" invested

@TECHWG :i like the fact that we as a people can have direct contact and influence the developement by defining bugs, compatability problems and giving him your comments.

I agree that the PS developer is very helpfull. The folks over at SSM listen to "Everyones" issues, and impliment changes, updates & fixes on a regular basis.
    Most of these are per customer requests.

...screamer

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

SSM by a mile. Better protection. Better stability. Better crew. More experience. Tested & proven.:thumb:

10. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

It's personal preference really. I for example, absolutely love the SSM GUI :D

And the thing that turns me off about PS is the GUI that it has. I don't know, there is just something about it that I don't like. I have my own windows themes and SSM is "theme-able". But PS isn't :(

Anyways, they both do basically the same thing, so I guess at the end it all comes down to the look and feel of it.

Both have great support BTW. :thumb:

11. egghead

egghead Registered Member

SSM because it works. You can control your heart out with this proggie.
    SSM team is constantly improving this already great program :thumb: and the company is very responsive to suggestions.

I have found that SSM gives more info when you have to make decision (block, allow etc) than PS.

12. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

well SSM have had their share of complaints, also same for ProSecurity. You simply can not please everybody all the time. its impossible. Some people dont like the GUI, others love the GUI, some people hate an option, others love the option. Its preference only.i believe SSM perhaps may have been here before ProSecurity, but i feel someone needs to try both for a length of time and communicate with the developer before you can throw comments about sombody's crew being better or tested and proved. Stem has also tested Prosecurity and has proven it. So please test them all over time and give them more than a days quick test, USE the trials of these softwares and really get a feel for them and communicate with the developers and see what you think after that

WG

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.