ProSecurity beta 3

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bellgamin, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Prosecurity 1.4 public beta 3 was released 10/24/2007. Forum notice & download link

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  2. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Looking impressive. The delevoper has been hard at work and it shows. Comodo v.3 will have some more competition :D

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can anyone post screenshots of new GUI. I really hate the older GUI of PS- looke so cheepish! Sorry but just my feeling about the GUI. I know the prosuct is very good.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Didn't get anywhere with this version. Tried uninstalling b2 and got BSOD. Got that cleaned up and installed b3. Told me trial expired. Tried to input my registration, and it took it, but only thing it would do is ask for it again.

Tried an install over the top and still had the registration issue. Then tried a reboot, and BSOD'd again.

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Hey Pete,

Yeah, I had the same issues w/ B2, BSOD, BSOD. Had to do a repair re-install to get out of BSOD loop. I still have it on NAS Box, since I don't want to chance un-installing.
    Pity, I purchased a unlimited license for PS :(

...screamer

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I wish someone could help this developer with the BSOD issue. For everyone's information i liked this HIPS from when he first released it but was chased away by the nagging fear of it BSOD and maybe corrupting the system.

I see users just like some of you who are once again experiencing blue screens with it. If they ever finally resolve THAT issue in particular this is another really useful HIPS in the making.

Right now i'm not willing to take any BSOD hits anymore from any program like i have in the past. In fact been BSOD free for quite some time now even when heaping together combos of security apps/ISR's/virtual's etc. found below in my siggy.

I know ProSecurity is trying real hard to wire this HIPS to the best of their ability without something jumping over to short-circuit like that, but it really must be a magicians balancing act to find that ideal balance.

All the best. EASTER

7. Peter2150

I figured it out. Before I uninstalled, I right clicked on the sys tray and turned off protections. THen I did the exit. Uninstall went smooth as could be, and reinstall of B3 went uneventful. Wow, some impressive changes.

Pete

PS The BSOD on the driver was because the protection was on and it was protecting itself.

8. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

I forgot to uninstall b2, and installed b3 over it; no apparent problem. Seems to work well; inherited my settings from b2. BU-U-U-U-T, now when my 'puter goes into screen-saver mode the screen gets all messed up: half of the graphics disappear, while the rest remain (!!!). Of course, this fluctuates, too, with the various icons and text coming and going almost indiscriminately. Could get some dialogue boxes to re-start but then the system hung up. Did hard re-start and all was back to normal.

ProSec b3's fault?? Or mine for installing over b2? I thought if it was a no-no to over-install I would have gotten a warning, but none appeared so I went for it.

Sam

|||

9. PSDeveloper

PSDeveloper Registered Member

Thank you very much for your testing!
    I'm very sorry for the bugs!
    Could you please to send the minidump file(s) to support@proactive-hips.com?
    Any feedback will be appreciated!

10. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Hi, can you try to use different colored system tray icons when PS is in a different mode e.g. blue for learning mode, green for install mode, etc.? Of course you can keep the balloon help words for more detailed explanation as now.

Thanks.

11. SamSpade

Anybody know what is the proper procedure for installing newest beta version over the older beta version? Is it OK to just install *over it*, or must I uninstall the older version first?

I've installed *over* my earlier version and it **seems** to working properly, but my tray icon is missing. Have now two processes running: "alarm" and "rule editor". Is that what should be running, or did I lose something in the translation??

Sam

|||

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I personally never install over previous. I always uninstall the older one then install the newer one.

I would first follow Pete's advice to disable protection first, then uninstall. Reboot and then install the newer version. I am not to sure if you can export rules from b2 then import them to b3 without issues, but thats worth a try if you don't want to start from scratch.

dja2k

13. lu_chin

Actually when I first tried to install beta 3 on top of beta 2, the installer did say that it would "upgrade" my existing PS. But as I mentioned before, due to the BSOD I got (even after I disabled all protection inside PS and my other security applications) I resorted to uninstall it in safe mode (when PS was no longer loaded).

14. SamSpade

I haven't gotten any BSOD's (knock on wood). But I do have a couple of anomoly-like events: first, my tray icon for ProSec is not always showing. How to get it back? (Task manager shows two ProSec processes running: "alarm" and "rule editor".

And second, when my computer goes into long idle, with the screen-saver having been activated, it emerges from this state in a mish-mash of missing icons, missing text, and generally unresponsive desk top; I must re-boot to get all desk top features working again.

Any ideas if this is caused by installing beta 3 *over* beta 2??

|||

15. lu_chin

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall beta 3.

16. Peter2150

I agree. Finally figured out the getting out of install mode, and clearing up old rules. Seems you have to do it from the gui. Don't know if this is really progress.

Overall I like this build.

17. SamSpade

I did a full uninstall, exporting my rule settings, and then did a re-install, and now everything seems to work fine. Except there is still no icon in the system tray. Three processes are up: alarm, pssession, and rule editor.

[EDIT: OK, now the tray icon is back. ]

|||

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m sorry I have to say this but I think that the new GUI sucks. I´m dissapointed that the developer didn´t post any screenshots sooner so I could have gave him any suggestions.

Also, I think it should be more fine tuned, for example, I get an alert about "fake keyboard/mouse input" when I right click on a toolbar in IE, this stuff shouldn´t happen. I might sound harsh, but that´s because I´m a bit annoyed, I expected a lot more from the new version. I´m also not sure if the developer will take my suggestions (if I make any) into consideration. Looks like I will not be using ProSecurity anytime soon.

19. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

It does sound harsh - not all changes are as easy to integrate as they look. I have always found that the developer really tries to take on board user input..... from the very beginneg when they ran demos via a VM:)

20. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Agreed, a little harsh but then again no one GUI can please all suers or potential users of an application. I have left some suggestions re. the new GUI over at the PS forum...in the hope that PS_Dev will pick up on them.

Overall I think that PS_Dev has been trying to not fall into the trap of SSM that whilst a great aprodyct completely baffled me in tems of where to look for what in the GUI. I think that he has done a good job but there a few rough edges still.

In the end, if the product does what it says on the time, it is down to personal choice as to whether one goes with a product or not due to the GUI.:D

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Good point Baldrick, it's not very encouraging to after having spent a great many weeks finally sorting out what's what and where, to find various needed settings and apply them correctly and just when you have a grip on everything, the interface changes and everything is moved around or shuffled again with a completely unfamiliar look that requires yet another long drawn out ordeal of study, and thats just the trap SSM fell into when they made some radical new changes in the registry modules screen. That's just nothing more than total confusion and a disaster waiting to happen, and why i've recently migrated over to EQS.

So you're not the only one baffled and set back, it completely put on the brakes for me and now turned my attention to EQS and also i am carefully following the progress of ProSecurity as it painstakingly evolves, plus i like the pace PS is moving at in gradually building it up one step and issue at a time.

22. Baldrick

Hi Easter

I think that you misunderstand me. I meant to give the view that whilst PS_Dev has changed the GUI I think that the basic configuration panels still reflect the way that they are in v1.30; what I believe he has done is to change the structural side of the gui to accomodate a lot of function in a more logical way. Having said that tree structures are sort of passe IMHO but I think that he has gone that way due to the shreer volume of fucntionality. Personally I do not mind this view as it does allow you to home in quickly on what you want to deal with.

My point I was trying to make was that I hope that he does not get caught in the SSM trap of just continuing to add fucntionality which is not clear or relatively easy to find & configure...as SSM seemed to have done.

Have also made a few other points about v1.4 Beta 3 at the PS forum (http://www.proactive-hips.com/yabb/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1193476099 if yo are interested)...but overall I like what I see.

May take a look at EQS if you reckon it is worth a look.

Cheers :D

23. Peter2150

It took me a few minutes to figure out the changes, but overall I like what he has done. They really weren't that hard to figure. With SSM I never did find some of the changes he made, and a couple even after having them explained still couldn't really use them. Bye Bye SSM.

Prosecurity is still easiest to install, works quietly and sure seems to do it's job.

24. Baldrick

+1 re. that sentiment...and the developer does seem to listen to the user.:D

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Is this turning into an *A versus B* thread? I hope not, or it might get closed.

There are now several "classical HIPS" programs, including but not necessarily limited to ProSecurity, SSM, EQSecurity, Neoava, etc. I find it interesting that it is almost always SSM that gets panned in ProSecurity threads. I find it both interesting & disturbing that a Wilders Global Moderator has seen fit to join in the critique of SSM, especially in view of the policy linked above.

I happen to be a very satisifed user of SSM & am quite adept with its GUI, as is my 9-year-old granddaughter. I also find many excellent features in ProSec, which is why I own a license therefor, & started this thread. I do not think it is necessary or appropriate to pan one program in order to express favor toward another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.