Pros/Cons of various Imaging, Rollback and Uninstall SW

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by halcyon, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I'm going to start a new Windows XP install soon.

This time I want to do include some of the below in my tool mix:

1. Uninstallers/cleaners (watch & clean up software installs)
    2. Roll back (restore system files/dll/registry/etc to a certain state)
    3. Imaging (image whole disk, perhaps including roll back files)

My concerns are following:

- I dislike ring 0 device drivers, esp. low level i/o drivers that may mess up my optical disk scanning software
    - I prefer software that I decide when to run and does not stay resident or slow my system down on other occasions
    - I prefer something which behave cleanly, has as few known incompatibilities as possible and has been proven by several users to work reliably in a variety of non-standard use situations

What are the pros and cons of esp. 2 & 3?

What about different options for imaging (Acronis, Paragon, etc)? What are the major pros & cons of each? Is there a "best of breed" imaging program currently used and recommended by most wilders?

I'd really appreciate your comments. I'm very new to these type of software.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Hi,

As you can see below, I use Rollback Rx (v7.2.1) and Acronis True Image (v10.0). I use this software in the manner mentioned by pvsurfer in the thread, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=170255 ...I also use Smarty Uninstaller Pro (v1.7.1) and together these installations have never brought about any conflicts with my CD-DVD driver, or any of my other device drivers.

I'm pretty sure that the programs I use are not the only 'safe' ones out there, but I can't speak to other solutions.

Hth.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would choose eiether rollbackrx or first defence ISR for rollback software
    and i would choose paragon for imaging software well infact im getting paragon for myself tomorrow as well:D
    i couldnt reccomend acronis after all the problems ive had with it
    lodore

4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

You can always find people who have problems with any program, including Paragon Drive Backup. For example, osip reported problems with Paragon in the thread I referenced above. I don't mean to imply that Paragon isn't as good as Acronis (it probably is) - but in that regard, I always advise installing and trying an evaluation copy of any software before buying it. ;)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i reccomend people to try the evauation versions of software first as well.
    i have done about 20 backup's and restores with paragon on my test pc upstairs and its been flawless.
    so tomorrow im gonna buy it.
    lodore

6. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

lodore, I'm sure Paragon is very good, but as you know, sometimes certain programs conflict with other programs, so it's a matter of finding the right combination of programs that can get along with each other. Based on what osip experienced, Paragon and Rollback Rx may not get along well.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats partly why i said eiether rollbackrx or first defence ISR
    lodore

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I heartily recommend Image for DOS (IFD).

I suggest you check the support forums of the various imaging programs. {IFD's is over THERE.} See which forums record lots of issues & gripes, & which forums do not. Doing so might help you decide which software to choose.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use ShadowProtect and FDISR.

Image for DOS is indeed reliable, but has a couple of significant limitations.

First, if you want the image to include the whole disk including MBR and track 0 you need to use a command line helper program, that isn't that straight forward.

Second and far worse is time. I image to both internal and external USB drives. With ShadowProtect my times are 5 and 6 minutes. WIth IFD it was 35minutes and 3+hours to the external. That was a deal killer.

One good option if you want to use Terabyte software is go with Image for Windows, but run it from a Bartpe disk. That way you can restore with it also.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

halcyon,

1. Uninstallers/cleaners (watch & clean up software installs)
    These are only useful for uninstalling OLD softwares.

2. Rollback software are useful for testing NEW software and most users like to try new things, because old softwares are boring.
    Rollback softwares :
    - act like a 100% uninstaller and you don't need to uninstall NEW softwares manually anymore.
    - solve also alot of other problems including your own mistakes and you don't even require knowledge.
    - they are much faster than Image Backup softwares
    You have to choose between multiple snapshots rollback softwares or other rollback softwares, like DeepFreeze, ShadowUser, ... the first group requires more space, the last group requires less space.

3. Image Backup Software recover any disaster even physical harddisk crashes. They are usually slower than rollback softwares.
    Image Backup software is a MUST. Rollback softwares are luxury.

I have Image Backup and Immediate System Recovery (rollback), because that makes me feel invincible. :)
    Remember the guy in the movie Goldeneye who always said "I'm invincible !!!" ? That's me and that's why I use a frozen snapshot, because that guy was also frozen at the end of the movie.
    I usually watch James Bond movies while I'm solving my computer problems, they inspire me.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Remember the guy in the movie Goldeneye who always said "I'm invincible !!!" ? That's me and that's why I use a frozen snapshot, because that guy was also frozen at the end of the movie.
    I usually watch James Bond movies while I'm solving my computer problems, they inspire me.[/QUOTE]

bit off topic but i seem to remember Boris dieing after he said that:D
    but i like your logic about him being frozen thou;d

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Ok cant resist: you'll likely get HEAPS of opinions :)
    For:
    1)
    Total uninstall - http://www.martau.com/index.php payware but v good
    Inctrl5 - read about it here, very serious tool- look around for free dl -
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,9882,00.asp
    Z-Soft Uninstaller - freeware, good - http://www.zsoft.dk/index.php?goto=software_details&prog_id=4

2)
    FDISR; great tool: almost too many built in options to list. :D
    Could also be useful for "uninstalling" software after trial by overwriting/copy/update snapshots, but will not log changes at installation.

RollbackRx/EAZ-Fix has strong support here. Seems to have very interesting ability to resist malware even killdisk, not everybody's cup of tea ( I' tried it early and couldn't get it to work well with many other of my options. I've not been back since, but believe there have been some improvements. Too time poor to try again. )

3)
    Terabyte utilities: BING/IFW/IFD/IFL/CopyWipe/TBI View etc etc
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.html
    A solid gold suite with more uses than you can believe.

ShadowProtect from Storagecraft: very good tool, gaining a LOT of respect; the v3.0 may be a killer app for full disc recovery.
    http://www.storagecraft.com/

As an extra: VMWare: phenomenal software compatible with Terabyte tools and ShadowProtect. Multiple uses.

All compatable with XP

HTH

Heh: Pandora's Box sort of question.
    Maybe an avalanche of options.
    I've posted what I believe are the cream.
    There may be some freeware options.
    All the tools above have good support if you need it.
    Total cost may be north of ~$AUD300, but well worth it.

Good Luck

Start making "snapshots" or "Images" from initial installation of OS with whatever you decide upon to keep copies of your leanest cleanest set-ups to go back to if you wanted to.

:thumb:

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi only use these two,

FDISR
    ShadowProtect

Try them first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.