Pros and cons of Xerobank V Tor?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by magenta, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magenta

magenta Registered Member

i am considering using xerobank after reading posts here but i dont know enough about it.

i am currently using tor but am struggling to see the point of using it to be honest.

as i understand it a person cant use email, google search, look at flash media or use java and javascript when on tor. this doesnt leave a lot else you can do on it so i am willing to try an alternative

can someone please outline the pros and cons of xerobank in comparison to tor. how does a person sign up to it and still remain anonymous for example

p.s. i cant subscribe to my posts. is it because im a newbie or do i need javascript enabled. can someone help with this. thanks

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I can't think of any cons. But Tor? Sheese! I whip it out once in a while just to mess around but I don't use it for anything serious. I am not saying that I don't think it's pretty cool because it is. And I think it's fun to play with here and there, and maybe learn something from it. I don't know much so I learn from just playing around with stuff here and there.

But I do a lot of searches. Constantly. I love to be able to open up a new tab or 2 (or 3) and research a subject on a whim. I get into discussions at message boards and I like to be able to back up a point of view with references. If I was stuck with Tor, I would have to just quit all of that because it would not be possible.

A lot of people may not know this, but there are a lot of really cool vids and documentaries at Google Video. I have downloaded quite a few. Do you think I could do that with Tor? I also like to do rapidshare searches and download music and movies and art. And lots of it. Not possible with Tor. You can't download with it. With Xerobank I average between 400 to 800 kb/s download speeds.

Here is another plus. And this weighs heavily with me. Steve is involved with with some well known human rights activists, like Hacktivismo. They have created things like Scatterchat and other tools to help people with privacy issues, especially for people who live in China and the Middle east and places like that. He has been involved with this for a long time and still offers the XB Browser (formerly Torpark) free for Tor users. He is an expert on Tor. And so is Kyle Williams, creator of JanusVMM. He (Kyle) is well known and he is in charge of the Cryptorouter project as well as XB Machine and also a website that will be used to test various anonymity services to see if they can be unmasked. At least I 'think' I have that right. But my point is, they are very knowledgeable and are thoroughly devoted to issues of privacy, anonymity, and freedom. It's not just about making a quick buck for them. And so they are offering a superior service. Tor on the other hand is getting scarier and scarier to me the more I learn about it. It's beginning to give me the creeps.

I feel confident that my privacy is well protected with Xerobank. They employ techniques that are cutting edge and I truly believe that, as a person who does not cause harm and who is not involved in any evil activities, my privacy will be well protected. I am convinced that they have the ability to do this. They are incorporated in Panama and cannot be forced to log anyone and everyone just because someone says so. And I truly believe that they care enough, and are devoted enough to keep up with all of the legal aspects and options that are available to promote freedom of the individual, and peace of mind. So it really is partly about trust and integrity, as well as expertise.

Something else that is truly wonderful for someone like me with very little knowledge about computers, is that it is so incredibly simple to set up and use that I don't have to even think about anything. It is so simple that anyone can use it with no problem. Just add water and stir. :p

3. magenta

thanks for writing that up caspian. i dont mean to be rude but i still dont know how it works though and what xb browser and xb machine is.

is xerobank an anonymiser and if so how does it do it and still be able to use java,flash etc with it.

is there anyone on here who knows about the technical side of xerobank and how it works.

im trying to access xerobanks webpage but cos im using tor i cant get on it for now

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Sure. What kind of info are you looking for? Comparison of XB to other privacy services?

As for how we can let you use java, flash, rich media, it's simple: We have no evil nodes in our network, and we don't allow others to participate in the network. We spend massive resources to create a private network for our users, so we don't have to depend on anyone else. This creates a significantly faster and more secure environment, and is immune to exit node injection and sybil attacks unlike participation-based anonymity networks.

Since you are unable to reach the page through tor, If you give me an email address I can send it to you.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree with you, Caspian. Except for one thing. You said
    This is James Bond stuff, so really it's "Shaken, not stirred." :)

6. magenta

thanks Steve. can you tell me how i can sign up for xerobank and still be anonymous. im using tor now but am willing to sign up for the service using my normal browser without a proxy but not sure if its possible to do it anonymously

i hope that makes sense

7. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Magenta, there are a few issues to be aware of. XeroBank does something unique no other provider does. It anonymizes the accounts from itself when a user signs up. It breaks the tracking of the identity of the account holder, from the account activity, by using a special technology we developed called VAULTS. That means that since your identity is already protected from being attributed to your surfing habits, we can 1) know you as a customer personally, 2) allow you to use formal payment methods like credit/debit card, and 3) you get an anonymous numbered account and we don't have to worry about who owns it.

So feel free to sign up using a normal browser and any card. It's the first step to a more secure internet experience.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

LOL! That was funny!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.